Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest serpentbird

No Illumination

Guest serpentbird
  • Topic Author
  • Hi all- I was told that if I wanted to use lights to add color without adding light- to check of the "No Illumination" box in the lights attributes- So I did- I'm getting no light as well as no color from the light when this box is selected- any ideas?

Hi. You need to enable "Visible light". You'll need to adjust the distance on the visibility tab.

Another way is to make the light an area light and use say a sphere as the shape. You then enable "Show in render" on the details page. This will light the scene but you can exclude (or include) objects in the scene from being illuminated by the light.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Guest serpentbird
  • Topic Author
  • Sweet- so I adjust the distance to 0 to make the light dissappear- that seems to work- thx

I think you need to explain the look you're trying to achieve. You can cast color without light, but you can have lights that are visible with whatever color you want for the glow. You can make objects appear to glow with the Luminance channel. If you have the Advanced Render module, you can then render with Global Illumination and those materials with Luminance with serve as colored light sources, so you get some light and color.

Hope that's not too confusing.