Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harico

Gobo Lighting Question

Hello,

i am afraid i am still on my projector tip. Is it possible to use a photograph (jpeg) and map it on to a volumetric light so that it projects the image, like a slide in a slide projector.

thanks in advance

harry

Guest dataflow

just apply your image to the transparency channel then place the material onto the light

Hello again.

If anyone has a minute to have a look at this i would be hugely greatful, i am rapidly losing my hair.

trying to get a nice looking light and there are strange artifacting on it. trying to create a beam like in this trailer.

thanks

made a spokey thing and rotated in front of light, but does not create hard volumetrics? a light setting perhaps. still can't get anything close to the real looking beams in that trailer

thanks for the suggestions

Guest dataflow

first thing volumetric light wont go through a transparent texture.

here is a quick scene

the setting to fix the artifacts it the "sample distance"

(changing sample distance increases render time)

Gone back to my texture gobo as i think it looks closer. changing the sub to 1m creates a huge render need for or 5 of these lights.

Hello,

thanks looks nice. certainly a quicker render will try and combine some of the two ideas.

cheers for now

harry

On the final leg to understanding what i am trying to do with much assistance from kind others. I have one final on question on the subject and that is,

Having combined the suggestion of using a quicktime on a layer transparency projecting onto a screen and also a rotating gobo infront of the light to create more realistic rays. Is there a way to switch of the gobo projecting onto the screen, but still effecting the beam. I have had a look at the tags and can't find the combination.

thanks and sorry for not posting correctly earlier.

p.s i have QT time preview but not sure i am allowed to upload it here, could put it on my ftp

harry

mr chemwizard you are kind. will be back on it monday morning but thanks for the help. look forward to seeing your project.