Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harico

Gobo Lighting Question

• Topic Author
  • Hello,

i am afraid i am still on my projector tip. Is it possible to use a photograph (jpeg) and map it on to a volumetric light so that it projects the image, like a slide in a slide projector.

thanks in advance

harry

Guest dataflow

just apply your image to the transparency channel then place the material onto the light

• Topic Author
  • Hello again.

If anyone has a minute to have a look at this i would be hugely greatful, i am rapidly losing my hair.

trying to get a nice looking light and there are strange artifacting on it. trying to create a beam like in this trailer.

thanks

model a star shape or some shape with hard edges that are jaggedy and then project a volumetric light through it.

• Topic Author
  • made a spokey thing and rotated in front of light, but does not create hard volumetrics? a light setting perhaps. still can't get anything close to the real looking beams in that trailer

thanks for the suggestions

Guest dataflow

first thing volumetric light wont go through a transparent texture.

here is a quick scene

the setting to fix the artifacts it the "sample distance"

(changing sample distance increases render time)

• Topic Author
  • thankyou for the help

• Topic Author
  • Gone back to my texture gobo as i think it looks closer. changing the sub to 1m creates a huge render need for or 5 of these lights.

• Topic Author
  • Hello,

thanks looks nice. certainly a quicker render will try and combine some of the two ideas.

cheers for now

harry

• Topic Author
  • On the final leg to understanding what i am trying to do with much assistance from kind others. I have one final on question on the subject and that is,

Having combined the suggestion of using a quicktime on a layer transparency projecting onto a screen and also a rotating gobo infront of the light to create more realistic rays. Is there a way to switch of the gobo projecting onto the screen, but still effecting the beam. I have had a look at the tags and can't find the combination.

thanks and sorry for not posting correctly earlier.

p.s i have QT time preview but not sure i am allowed to upload it here, could put it on my ftp

harry

• Topic Author
  • mr chemwizard you are kind. will be back on it monday morning but thanks for the help. look forward to seeing your project.