Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest serpentbird

Strings, Vines, Wires Galore!

Guest serpentbird
  • Topic Author
  • Hi all- how would one go about creating multiple wires (strings, vines, or what have you) that wrap around an object or a spline? I know the manual way would be to create a bunch of seperate splines, then manually wrap them around the object and drop them into a sweep nurbs- but that's no fun- I know there are better more creative ways- as well as timesaving ways- but I'm just too noob for my mind to be there- so help a noob brutha out....

(you dont have to read this next part, but just to show that I tried to be creative at first and think of my own way, instead of running straight to the cafe> so what I though was I could create a sweep nurb, which would be my main object that all the vines would wrap around, and I thought if I matrix extruded its polygons I would get vines which by altering the rotation would appear to wrap around sweep nurb object- after attempting this- I realize my idea is totally wack- but one of these days I know my wack ideas will prove useful- till then- ill ask around) cheers, Steve

In actual fact I struggle to think how this can be done easily especially if you want the wires to be wrapped in a random sort of way. Perhaps you have a photo or diagram of what you have in mind.

3DKiwi

Guest serpentbird
  • Topic Author
  • after some thinking- I think the best way to go about this is to create points on the surface of a sweep nurbs object that represent the points on the soon-to-be wire/string spline that will wrap around it- after you have this- all you have to do is transfer the points from the sweep nurbs as the points for the spline that wraps around it and you'll get a perfectly wrapping spline- because trying to wrap the spline manually by adjusting points- doesn't get a tightly enough wrapping spline. Does anyone know how to create points on a sweep nurbs that follow a curving line?( using the knife tool to create cuts in the sweep nurbs segments creates points that follow a straight path) Does the project spline commnand come into play here?

You've lost me with that. What you can do that may help is do a "Edge to spline" command. This converts selected edges on objects into a spline. This may help.

3DKiwi

Guest serpentbird
  • Topic Author
  • sweeet! thanks guys- like the different ideas- where there's a will there's a way!

Guest serpentbird
  • Topic Author
  • This is a good idea- but I'm not sure how you would go about performing this on an object that is is curvy, and not just a stright pole- the twist deformer only seems to work well on something straight- I tried splitting up a curvy sweep nurb with mulitple twists in different sections- but the ends of the twist box end up kinky and not blending well into one another- maybe my method is ######- but I can only get the twist working well on something straight