Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harico

More On Filmstrips

• Topic Author
  • Hello,

i had a look at previous posts and wondered if someone could tell me couple of added things,

1. created a strip like 3d kiwi model and now would like to put a different jpg into each cell any ideas

2. how would i thread the strips around the spools and then join as a single looped film, and then animate to move around the spools.

like birdhaus very cool QT

only have spline editor and the link to scene from 3d kiwi no longer works. I appreciate this topic has already been asked but C4D new to me,

can help with complex AE questions if needed in return

thanks in advance

• Topic Author
  • Flumoxed,

if i draw a spline around the spools and then use align to spline expression, could that work.

i guess maybe i need to create my texture with all stills in already rather than just the one?

bitten off more than i chew,

Harry

• Topic Author
  • Right have created a spline then used spline path tag and if i animate postion it travels along path but as an object not as a loop bending

do i need path deformation, really stuck

also still stuck on how i would ad extra cells instead of all "barca"

if anyone has any ideas would be very greatful

use the spline deformer and just model your film strip with each cell texture mapped with diff pics.

• Topic Author
  • Sorry i am a bit of a simpleton at this.

can you explain a bit more....

i have my filmstrip layer and my spline layer where do i put the spline deformer?

with the cells issue should i create a big long strip in photoshop with all my pics in or is there a way to map on each seperate "slide"

sorry for the ignorance

thanks

harry

Here's a simple setup showing the basic use of the spline deformer.

The steps I took to make it were as follows -

1 - create a plane with lots of subdivisions in the Y direction to allow a nice deformation.

2 - create materials with each image loaded into the color or luminance channel.

3 - add a material, change the mapping to 'Flat' , then use the Texture Axis tool to move, rotate and scale the image appropriately.

4 - repeat step 3 for the other images.

5 - add a 'Stick texture' tag to the plane so that the images don't slide around when the plane is deformed

6- create a spline to control the shape you want

7 - add a MoGraph Spline Wrap deformer, make it a child of the plane object.

8 - change the mode of the Spline Wrap deformer to 'Keep length' instead of 'fit Spline' to prevent the plane stretching.

9 - in this case I had to rotate the deformer to get the deformation happening in the direction I wanted.

Have a look at the enclosed file to see how it's put together.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Brian

• Topic Author
  • Dear Brian,

Thankyou that seems to make sense, one problem is don't have MoGraph. Is there a way to do it with my uploaded scene without it? Or maybe should just go and buy it?

cheers anyhow leasst i can see how to do it

Pretty challenging to do without MoGraph. An alternative is the Path Deformer plugin but I would suggest getting MoGraph as you get heaps more useful toys.

You have checked out this scene here? This could be scene file that you were referring to.

It is possible to animate the strip moving and because of the deformers it can give the illusion of going around some reels. Here's a quickie scene to give you an idea of how to do it. You could just apply images to the plane object.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • ok maybe i will buy it tomorrow, could you explain how i would put in multiple cells into your filmstrip model that i have used, or should i just start again when i buy mograph and do as Brian says

goodmorning and many thanks

Even with MoGraph you've still got to manually apply the textures to a plane object using flat projection with the texture axis tool or create one big long image and apply that as I did in the scene file in the downloads section.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • yeah cool got that, does mograph work with 10.1 or do i need to upgrade software too?

MoGraph works fine with 10.1 (or 9.6) but has some new features if you run it with 10.5

Cheers,

Brian