Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jamesinsincity

Procedural Shaders - How Do They Work?

• Topic Author
  • I just purchased Enhanced 3D Shaders for C4D and I'm at a loss on how to use them.

There are alien terms like "FBM," "Nutuous," "Voronoi," "Ober," etc. that have no meaning to me - are these some German slang terms?

I'd like to know some simple facts - like - if I want to get a good look ocean shader effect - use .... and play around with x controls...

But short of spending months dissecting every shader - I'm trying to find some tips....

Thanks for any advice,

Jim

as i understand it proceedurals are basically functions ( or procedures ), so i guess the names come either from a mathematical algorythm or function that was used to generate them or the specific surface they emulate .... in the first case i don;t think they have a specific purpose, it's mostly up to you how/where they go

I second that! The names are usually coming from the algorythm's names or from the shape they produce.

roflmao.gif hahaha, German slang terms... that's a good one!

• Topic Author
  • What is greatly needed then is some book of recipes, an accumulation of many 3D artists findings, that have done the experimentation and have come up with something usable. I would expect that recipe book would be high on the list of shaders merchants - since we artists could employ their products without learning curves or months in testing - ergo increasing shader sales dramatically.

Jim

shader skills are pretty hard to gain, the few that master them might be reluctant to share, i'd buy a dvd about medium->advanced shaders any day, but there doesn't seem to be any one trying to record it :(, sad too, because c4d has tuts in allmost all areas of the software except this

I dont know if a dvd about this stuff would be useful because I find that every project demands different textures and shaders and what may have worked well in one scene doesnt really work in another and needs adjustment or a completely different solution, so a "one size fits all" shader instruction and information dvd might only be useful to beginners to c4d shaders. I generally find playing with the shader settings and noise, falloff, gradients etc to be one of the genuinely fun parts of 3D and I dont want to follow anyones formulas. I think people can always learn from other peoples materials if they want to figure out how to make new ones, just look around for a good material and see what theyve done and try and make it from scratch if its possible. I have noticed some shaders are programmed to have extra specular channels etc, I dont know how people do that but theyre pretty cool too.

like for moving sea water I might use a large FBM noise shader or layer 2 noise shaders in bump channel with a small amount of animation and put a copy of it into the luminance channell with high contrast and colour it whiteish for a bit of foam/highlight and then tweak the transparency and reflection settings...then render tests over and over again until i have what I want. Experiment! smile.gif

Guest dataflow

if you want to get a good start on shaders download the shaders from following site and just have a look.

you'll see how its done

the button that says "telecharge" is the download button on each shader.

or you could just use a site translator

site is (french)

http://www.lev-communication.fr/component/.../limitstart,15/

do you really find it that hard to use the shaders? i mean, you have a preview of your material, even animated, and you can see changes instantly.

I've been playing around with these shaders for ages, i think, and there are always coming out new shapes and movements. but that's more a playing around with it - the main characteristics are pretty straight forward to me.

Don't let the names bother you, just have a look at the noise-type preview, they're all in there!

smile.gif PhloH

• Topic Author
  • It's not hard for me to play around with shaders and all of their controls - even if I'm not sure what they do - but I often have clients breathing down my neck and in their mind they're not paying for my experimentation...

And I'm not looking for an exact prescription to create X effect: just a general direction.

Maybe if the names of these shaders were not in Klingon I'd have a better inkling as to what they do and how.

For example - I've got a nice sea shader developed by Paul S. on here - now I'd like to get some spray and foam effects as well. Realflow will actually generate separate geometry for these types of water splashes - but I'm still charged with coloring them and making them somewhat convincing that they stem from the underlying ocean wave itself.

Hey Silver Talon - your recipe sounds brilliant - but I'm a beginner - I'd need it broken down in small bite-size bits!

Best,

Jim

Guest dataflow

thats what 3d is all about is experimenting.

and you cant name something that has thousands of uses

Try this for an overall C4D Noise Reference & Description.

You should be able to narrow down the most appropriate noise for any purpose.

Cheers, Alan.

Yup! It's a goodie worth book-marking. spoton.gif

Cheers, Alan.