Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steeleimaging

Bake Object / Bake Texture

• Topic Author
  • I guess my novice-ness really shows up when I can't seem to get the Bake functions to work... mur.gif

The C4D 10.5 help manual is a vast improvement from the 9.5, however, the details on Baking are limited. I did see a bake tutorial in the forum, but, it was for walls. I would really like a tutorial on how to apply the bake functions to more delicate detailed object that are heavy with poly counts...

If anyone knows where... I would love the feedback. I think this feature may be the only way I can conitnue with my heavy poly scene...

Dave

Believe it or not, I typed in "Bake" and "baking" in Cineversity's search dialogue and got this both times:

No records were found

Tried again and found this:

Point Cache Tag, Release 10.5

Enable, Calculate, Autotime 9 min 15 sec Monday, October 01, 2007 Cinema 4D 10.5 447 Basic Character Animation Character Animation

I just watched it. It's described thus:

The point cache tag allows for baking any type of deformation directly to the mesh, greatly reducing the processing overhead of rigs and complex deformers. This tutorial looks at how to use the Point cache tag

I'm surprised that this all thats offered free or paid. There was a gnome that was baked somewhere (I have the scene file but not the tute.

(.%

Okay, found the baking tute and it's pretty good. It's among the 9.5 video tutorials that came with that version. You can probably get it from the MAXON site.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Anthony...

I will have to take a look for the video. If it comes with the program I may have it.

Do you happen to have a link for the point cache?

Dave Steele

http://www.cineversity.com/ will get you to the site and the tute is free. You have to register and the site is poorly designed for simply downloading what you want. Search for "point cache tag ".

• Topic Author
  • Found it. Im going to have a look.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the time.

I have found the tutorial disc with the Gnome and scene files.. I would be happy to share with you if you have the need for that kind of information and tutorial video...

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I have it as well and watched it after discussing it. I had watched it when I got 9.5 but when you are hosed with new info (like before you will use it), the all important and error avoiding details are forgotten. So before I bake anything, I review it so as not to go astray (as you can do with baking).

• Topic Author
  • I actually forgot bout that demo.

I was a little disspointed that the 10.5 Studio Bundle didn't have a baking tutorial on it. (I didn't see it at least)

It seemed as if the tutorials were geared far more toward the animation side. However, for someone like me, animation would be minimal as I would be using for more detailed still material (so far). Animation, like character rigging is so far above me, it's not even fathomable. :)

Did you find any tutorials particularly helpful from the 10.5 bundle?

Dave

Nope! That's why I went looking for the half-remembered "Gnome" file. The absence of anything on Cineversity, paid or not, is most baffling to me. Something that useful for reducing render times begs for a full rundown. There is good stuff scatered around about Normal maps for instance thsat make a low poly object look like high poly. And baking ambient occlussion and GI and lights! Maybe the best way to learn is to take an object with a plane material and create the maps individually and make a new mat that incorporates all your images in their appropriate channels.

• Topic Author
  • I have been doing just that... some simple objects, planes, cubes, etc. applying textures, connecting them, baking them... etc. I have begun to find some resolutions with the 'hit and miss' mentality.

I am thinking about buying a subscription to cineversity... but, not sure yet. if you have one, is is worth it?

Nope, but had I found what I went looking for in this thread, I might have bought a subscription.

• Topic Author
  • Still, a really good baking tutorial would be wonderful. If baking is what save render time and make life easier for the final scene animations (if you use them) - there shold be a lot more on baking that what is out there.

• Topic Author
  • Super! Thanks! I am going to take a look now. Very nice of you to drop a note on that.