Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest EugeniusMaximus

Can Bodypaint Do This?

Guest EugeniusMaximus
  • Topic Author
  • Hi,

I am following a Lightwave tutorial on how to model a spaceship, using Cinema 4D 9.1. Everything was going fine until I hit an obstacle. This part of the tutorial shows how to make an Image Map by modelling a greeble grid, then using Photoshop to create a gradient strip and use it in Texture Maker. Texture Maker combines the rendered and gradient images to make an interesting image map. Can I do this with BodyPaint? Any suggestions?

Adding Details To Spaceships with Texture, by Kier Darby : http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/index.htm

Here are some images of the version of my ship and my first greeble grid.

Thank you,

EugeniusMaximus

Hi and welcome to the Cafe :)

Great looking model. I've found that LW tutorials translate quite well to C4D. As for your question, which part of the tutorial are you stuck with? BP can easily do the weathering. The rest of the Photoshop stuff I'm not so sure. I think with some mucking around you could do all of the Photoshop stuff in BP but if you have Photoshop or something similar I would probably use that.

Do you not have Photoshop? I don't either or more accurately only have PS 5 LE. Now I run a Photoshop clone called Serif Photoplus 11. About $79 and does about 90% or more of Photoshop can do. Looks more or less the same as well.

Anyone else?

3DKiwi

I find you can do most everything right there in bodypaint that needs to be done.

It's just,

Everything in bodypaint is layed out different then photoshop.

If I were you I would combine your image with or what have-ya with the procedural shaders and edit right there in the material editor.

c4d has a very powerful material editor for procedural shaders I've come across in along time.

soo....yes.

Bodypaint will do what you want.

Oops noiticed your on 9.1

not sure if any difference though.

Guest EugeniusMaximus
  • Topic Author
  • Good Morning,

3DKIWI - Thank you: I had my eye on this tutorial and finally had a chance to follow it. The part that I am stuck with is called Modelling Image Maps (Part 5). Yes, I do have Photoshop CS and I can create the Gradient strip, but I don't how to properly apply the gradient onto the greeble in C4D. I could probably use C4D's powerful Material Editor for the Mapping and Bodypaint for the texturing, but need some advice from more advanced users.

mrkucz - C4D's procedural shaders is remarkable. Even though I have created only a handful of projects to show, I have been very pleased with it and still learning. As far as Bodypaint, I do need to start using it as it is also a very powerful tool that I have avoided for too long.

Here's a quick image of my second greeble.

Cheers,

EugeniusMaximus

Think all that's happening is the greeble texture map is being applied with flat mapping. You would then use the texture axis tool to position, scale and rotate the greeble map. Here's your image loaded into the bump channel. You could also use it in the displacement channel with SPD.

3DKiwi

Guest EugeniusMaximus
  • Topic Author
  • Hi 3DKiwi!

WOW! Nice work! I have never used the Texture Axis Tool before, so I will try it on a plane (like you did) and see what type of results I get before applying it to the ship. Definitively the Displacement Channel will be used for this project :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

EugeniusMaximus

Guest EugeniusMaximus
  • Topic Author
  • I put in my images in the bump map channel and added some displacement. Please let me know if there's a better way of making it look better.

EugeniusMaximus

Daaang.....

EugeniusMaximus....

Looks like your on the right track there.

One thing to keep in mind though, If you were to use your stuff in a game. "normal map" would be a lot better then "Displacement maps".

Its better on the game engine to use normal maps.

But for still images, displacement in combo with a little bump keeps your file size low.

Using the images in the displacement channel with sub polygon displacement would look better as you end up with real height / geometry rather than shading to simulate height and depth. One thing I would do is enable Ambient Occlusion. Reduce the accuracy down to about 40-50%. You'll find you model will look better.

Some nice looking images by the way smile.gif

3DKiwi

Guest EugeniusMaximus
  • Topic Author
  • mrkucz - Thank you for your kind compliments and the heads up. I actually am planning of going back to college to study gaming, so I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks!

3DKiwi - Many thanks for your wise suggestions. It's funny: I did recall seeing the Sub-Polygon Displacement, but kelpt it disables because I didn't know what it was for. I will apply the changes this evening and render some images.

Thank you both!

EugeniusMaximus

Guest EugeniusMaximus
  • Topic Author
  • Hey 3DKiwi,

I went home for lunch and added the subpoly displacement and currentlt rendering. I should know this but, where is the Ambient Occlusion? Is this located in the lights manager area? S

Sorry :-(

Its in your render setting!