Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Help Please! Texture Mapping All Over The Place

• Topic Author
  • Here's a quickie render...I see that the texture map is too small as it gets lost. Will make it larger and add a bump map in the next round, maybe if I have time look at some cool shaders to "dirty" it up a bit.

I see there is something in the stucco texture above the garage door and to the left of the bottom of the olive green bay window that needs fixing.

Lookin' good, Joseph. spoton.gif

The gremlin lurking above the arch is due to 'co-planar' polygons. His brother is lurking on the other side of the arch as well. I've shown them in red in the grab. You can actually spot them quite easily if you rotate the viewport. Any gremlins will cause a shady flickering as the view changes. Try it and see.

Co-planar means that two polygons are occupying the same 3D space. Just nudge them back a fraction or reposition an edge to remove the overlap.

The problem you had with Cubic projection is the triangulation of the n-gons as in the Bay section.

You can eithe stick with the UV assignment or renovate the place with proper quad polygons. I think you will be better with the UV mapping as it is less work.

Painting texture maps in BodyPaint is a good way to create weathered effects.

I'll hold the file for reference in case you have any other questions.

Cheers, Alan.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

• Topic Author
  • Alan, thank you again for your help. signthankspin.gif Could not do this without your help as well as from others.

I"ll hunt those co-planar gremlins down first thing I get a chance...I think that I need more sleep than you do...don't know how you do it :)

Connecting the polys with UV mapping the single polygon was a really quick way to solve this problem. I can see with this that clean modeling pays off when doing texturing.

Bodypaint at $900 will have to wait a bit....learning the basics of C4D and VRay is going to keep me pretty busy for a while anyway...something else to look forward to.

Joe

• Topic Author
  • Oh wow! This continues to get better all the time!

I purchased the DVD :thisrocks:

Alan, this is great. Thank you!

laugh.gif I thought you would appreciate that one.

You realise that you are now morally obliged to buy the BP~DVD out of that saving.

While you are in spending mode, you better buy the missus a big bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates. You are going to be busy. :biggrin:

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • I fulfilled my moral obligation gladly roflmao.gif

Yes, this is going to cost me more than a $60 dvd...flowers, flowers, flowers....in fact I'll be taking the missus out of town for a couple of days this weekend...gotta keep the balance spoton.gif

• Topic Author
  • Alan, looks like I'll need a bit of help excommunicating these gremlins. I thought that if I disconnected the polys that I would be able to then manipulate each gremlin individually to avoid the co-planing, but at least with a couple of tries was unable to isolate the little fellows.

Hi Joseph,

Need to speak the lingo first. wink.gif

The individual sections, walls, tower arch etc. are individual objects and appear in the Object Manager as single units.

Each object consists of one or more polygons.

An object must be selected in the Object Manager to be able to move, rotate or scale it.

Use the Selection Tool in Modeling Mode for this.

You can select it in the OM by clicking either on the object in the viewport or in the OM list.

To work on the polygons, the object first has to be selected as mentioned.

Switch to polygon (or point/ edge) mode and you can select the individual polygons of that object.

If you select the front archway (model tool mode) and hide it you will easily access the twin gremlins.

In fact it is easier than that. They are actually directly accessable. Switch display to Quick Shading (Lines) you can see them outlined.

The left one is under the short eave, The other is directly below the right hand upper window. Just click and delete in Model Mode.

If you are looking at it with textures applied, it might be difficult to see them initially.

HTH. Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • The lingo...like how the hunter of haggis is armed with a meuran?

I understand all you said...problem is that I connected them all into one polygon and don't seem to be able to separate them back to perfrom the functions you said..

I have attached the file as well as my last render. I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making on the main stucco texture...that's the only one I've been trying to get up to my expectations. I think the only other tweak on the main stucco would be to soften the hard corners. Was wondering if putting a very small bevel on those corners and then setting the phong to smooth them would be the way to go...California stucco corners are round wink.gif

The lingo...like how the hunter of haggis is armed with a meuran?

Ma Mashie Niblick is sharper than Auld Nick's forkied tail. :)

Yes, bevel the edges by all means.

Back in a couple of minutes. I'll need to split of the polygons and fix. :)

Job done. I selected the front polygon and expanded the selection to include all the polys in the left group.

Used the 'Hide Unselected' to leave just the gremlin visible. Selected bottom points and moved them up to align with the top edge of the arch. Repeated for no.2.

I've left them unconnected and with point selection tags on them.

Just connect as required.

The render is looking better with the softer lighting. spoton.gif

Cheers, Alan.

PS. Zip your C4D files to make 'em smaller and quicker to upload.

Link to my Hunter's Guide. makmiday.gif