Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Help Please! Texture Mapping All Over The Place

• Topic Author
  • Alan, looks like I'll need a bit of help excommunicating these gremlins. I thought that if I disconnected the polys that I would be able to then manipulate each gremlin individually to avoid the co-planing, but at least with a couple of tries was unable to isolate the little fellows.

Hi Joseph,

Need to speak the lingo first. wink.gif

The individual sections, walls, tower arch etc. are individual objects and appear in the Object Manager as single units.

Each object consists of one or more polygons.

An object must be selected in the Object Manager to be able to move, rotate or scale it.

Use the Selection Tool in Modeling Mode for this.

You can select it in the OM by clicking either on the object in the viewport or in the OM list.

To work on the polygons, the object first has to be selected as mentioned.

Switch to polygon (or point/ edge) mode and you can select the individual polygons of that object.

If you select the front archway (model tool mode) and hide it you will easily access the twin gremlins.

In fact it is easier than that. They are actually directly accessable. Switch display to Quick Shading (Lines) you can see them outlined.

The left one is under the short eave, The other is directly below the right hand upper window. Just click and delete in Model Mode.

If you are looking at it with textures applied, it might be difficult to see them initially.

HTH. Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • The lingo...like how the hunter of haggis is armed with a meuran?

I understand all you said...problem is that I connected them all into one polygon and don't seem to be able to separate them back to perfrom the functions you said..

I have attached the file as well as my last render. I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making on the main stucco texture...that's the only one I've been trying to get up to my expectations. I think the only other tweak on the main stucco would be to soften the hard corners. Was wondering if putting a very small bevel on those corners and then setting the phong to smooth them would be the way to go...California stucco corners are round wink.gif

The lingo...like how the hunter of haggis is armed with a meuran?

Ma Mashie Niblick is sharper than Auld Nick's forkied tail. :)

Yes, bevel the edges by all means.

Back in a couple of minutes. I'll need to split of the polygons and fix. :)

Job done. I selected the front polygon and expanded the selection to include all the polys in the left group.

Used the 'Hide Unselected' to leave just the gremlin visible. Selected bottom points and moved them up to align with the top edge of the arch. Repeated for no.2.

I've left them unconnected and with point selection tags on them.

Just connect as required.

The render is looking better with the softer lighting. spoton.gif

Cheers, Alan.

PS. Zip your C4D files to make 'em smaller and quicker to upload.

Link to my Hunter's Guide. makmiday.gif

• Topic Author
  • Alan, sorry to be such a moron, I must be trying your patience, I understand the concept, but when I select the points the whole object moves up...can't get just the selected points to move.

Funny, that one caught me out as well. Sorry, I should have mentioned it.

The Soft Selection is enabled under the Marquee Tool options tab. Just disable it.

I would have expected the option to show when the Live Selection Tool was selected. Strange! mf_bookread.gif

Tons of patience gained from years of Haggii Stalking. roflmao.gif

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • As you can see, a drumnadrochit....the gremlins have left the scene roflmao.gif

Thank you very much kind sir! sc018.gif On to other challenges!

Excellent work, Joseph. spoton.gif

You will be glad that your apprenticeship is over.

I expect the next one to be built in about half the time. wink.gif

Glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers, Alan.