Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josephus

Help Please! Texture Mapping All Over The Place

• Topic Author
  • The geometry was imported from formz. I applied one texture map (squares) to all the polys with the "stucco" texture to see what was going on when I previously tried to apply a stucco texture. The projection for all is cubic and the x&y lengths are all 10%. The geometry is mapping it all over the place as you can see. Some questions I have:

1. Is there a way to globally change the texture tag values (like change all the x/y lengths to 20%) or projection type without having to select each and every one individually?

2. What is going on with the geometry that there is such inconsistency reading the same texture map? Is it possible to globally change a setting so that at least all the squares would read the same? Then I could adjust my texture map accordingly. Right now my only hope would be to pick one polygon as a reference and then go through each polygon and ajdust the x/y lengths until it matched...that would not be fun.

Any help/light that anyone can shed on this would really be appreciated.

Hi Joeseph,

I doubt if Cubic is the way to go with this.

Have you tried UV Mapping for the projection?

Make sure there is a UV tag. Select the tag, Object Manager > Generate UV Coordinates.

In the texture tag properties, you can scale (tile) the texture and also offset X & Y position.

Any help to you. smile.gif

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • Just to clarify...the squares are only a temporary means for me to be able to readily see how each polygon is handling the texture map. Note how some polygons are mappping the squares with vertical stretched, some horizontal stretched, some both. The squares right above the garage door under the flat arch are a much different scale, but they all have exactly the same settings in the texture tag. Once each polygon behaves as I would expect (if we can fix that), then they will be replaced with a stucco texture (plaster with a sand finish).

I have not tried UV mapping and will try that. Are you suggesting that generating UV coordinates will make each polygon map the texture the same?

Any thoughts on my other question about being able to globally "fix" this problem...there are quite a few polygons?

Is this sort of problem seen quite often when importing geometry from other apps?

Are all the walls to be stucco'd all the one mesh? Or are they different sections?

Either way, UV tag and mapping is the default method in most cases and would be my choice.

Geometry is geometry whether imported or generated in C4D. The thing to understand is how the different mappings work, or not as the case may be. wink.gif

Don't worry about individual polygons, it is a mesh as a unit you consider.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • Alan, all the walls to be stucco'd are all separate sections (polygons), that's the way it came in to c4d. I came to the same conclusion this morning when I was thinking about it, that it's not the geometry so much that is the issue, but the mapping. It seems that all the polygons (maybe 40 or so) do not all have the same mapping, although in formZ I did not assign any uv mapping coordinates, what it there were default settings.

So should I be thinking about joining all these polygons into one mesh (I will have to learn how to do that as I've not done that yet)? There may be another advantage to that in that I will want to have some minor displacement in some parts of the surfaces as the surfaces are too straight and clean.

Thanks again for all your help.

Join them into a reasonable optimized mesh. Optimize to weld points and check that the normals are aligned.

Once that is done, generate new UV coordinates.

It is impossible to individually scale texture on polygons and get a respectable match.

As for variations in the texture and bump, do it with shaders and layer masks.

PS. Check PM.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • Alan, thx for the advice/direction...much appreciated. Your comment re: trying to match the texture on individual polys is VERY helpful.

Just curious...any idea why the polys would NOT have the same mapping if all is default?

Let me give this a try first and see how it goes. I just need to read the manual and see how to join individual polys into a mesh mf_bookread.gif So much to learn yikes.gif

Just spent 30 mins looking at how to join polys, got that, but what is a "reasonable optimized mesh"...I need baby steps here. I used the "connect" tool which connected them, but then how do I turn these into a mesh? I tried putting it under a hypernurbs but the connected poly disappeared. Anyway, lunch time is over so I'll check back later.

If you have a bunch of separate polygons in the Object Manager, ie individual groups which make a single wall then these need to be connected into a single polygon object to form a single polygon object.

Select them in the OM, then Function > Connect. This will create a single polygon object made up of the original parts.

The separate polygons should be deleted or hidden, leaving the new 'connected' wall.

Before anything else, this new wall needs to be 'optimized' to actually weld the common points from the original polygons.

This is what I meant by a reasonable optimized mesh.

Try this, first after connecting and then again after welding (optimizing).

1. Select an individual polygon near a corner, then main menu > Selection > Select Connected.

2. Repeat on the optimized mesh.

In case 1. only the polygons of the original group will be selected.

In case 2. all the polygons should be selected.

Welding 'unifies the mesh' by making 2 points on a common location into a single common point between 2 or more polygons.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Alan. I can do all that...will give it a "go". I'll post what I come up with.

The Prowler Shift has just started. wink.gif

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Alan.

• Topic Author
  • Got it working thisrocks.gif

I was not able to get an optimized mesh (I understand what that is now) due to fact that there are interior faces and I did not want to spend all evening deleting all the faces that I don't need to be connected. I connected all the polygons as they were then I clicked on "generate uv's" and voila, the texture was consistent throughout. Just one little adjustment in the x length and I'm there.

I'll do a quickie VRay render without fancy shaders (still to learn) and post.

Any comments you might have regarding the file will be of great help down the road.

OK Joseph,

I just got the file. I'll have a look at it and get back to you.

First bell for coffee has just gone. wink.gif

Cheers, Alan.