Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest DJ Spazz

"dirty" Gi?

Guest DJ Spazz
  • Topic Author
  • Hello!

I just started C4D again and I've pretty much forgotten everything about it.

I've been messing around with Global Illumination and I'm just wondering why it always gives these strange, tacky highlight things in random places?

What settings do I need to play with to get perfectly clean GI?

Guest Tomas Sinkunas
  • Topic Author
  • Hi man.

I guess that this problem could be solved increasing MIN and MAX values in GI settings. I followed some 3DFluff tutorials, so I am pretty sure that in every scene you need different settings. Any ways, if you use default setting, try playing with 15 for MIN and 150 for MAX. Also if this don't help too much, increase stochastic samples a little. Please take care if you increase accuracy - render times will grow enormously for more that 80%.

hope that helped a little:)

Guest DJ Spazz
  • Topic Author
  • Wow that helped alot!

:D

I tried what you said and it seems as though the higher I set my MAX the cleaner results I got.

My current settings are 20MIN 400MAX, but I'm still trying different things.

Thanks a bunch!

Guest linuximp20
  • Topic Author
  • sorry, i know this thread is kind of old but curious spazz did increasing those min and max settings really bump up the rendering times? I read on another post on here that a min of 55 will get rid of most flickering problems with GI.

Guest linuximp20
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for clarifying that Scott. I that makes sense that it isn't a magic number because no two scene is exactly the same. But knowing that increasing that setting is adding more red dots makes me understand what I am trying to tweak exactly though. I tried turning down the GI and adding a light. Real time saver so far. I had the GI at 200 and brought it down to 70 and added the light. A render for a frame went from 5 minutes to 1 and a half. And I can use that saving to increase the stochastic sampling a bit. when you add the light you don't want it to cast shadows or anything right because you are just using it to brighten the scene correct.

Sorry Dj Spazz, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope this is info will help you in your G.I. tinkerings.

edit: Hmmm that must have been another file I was thinking of that was 5 minutes a frame. I just did a test with both GI at 200 and no additional light and GI at 70 with another light and at 200 it rendered in 2:52 while with the light it was 2:56. So it is actually not a savings but increase. I quit C4D after each render so it would have to do the calculations again. I think that was the fairest way to test them or would I have to wipe out the memory cache?