Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StCanas

Universal Light Control

Well buckle up for my 'Light Blender'. laugh.gif

This is a simple cross-fade with the lights fading across 50->100%. Adjust the RangeMappers to suit or add a MinMax Clamp to the light Intensity port.

It's asy to double this up to a multi light rig.

Cheers, Alan.

Repeat after me: Path spline in TOP, profile in FRONT.

• Topic Author
  • Al

If you whip the slider back and fore it's just like a scene out of Saturday Night Fever (which I'm sure you're old enough to remember!).

That's interesting as it helps illuminate (I had to get that in at some point) further possibilities. You could do some great light arrays using this, kind of like the instrument panels that used to populate the control deck of the Seaview in Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.*

Cheers

Karl

* At this point, many of our younger viewers are going "Eh, what are these two old geezers on about?"

• Topic Author
  • Just to say a big thank you to theinfomercial and Al for the set ups you posted. After picking them apart I started from scratch to make sure I was actually learning something on this one and, after a lot of head scratching and a few wrong turns, I now have my two light setups in the one file, each controlled by a slider making finding the best point for the cross fade in the animation a doddle. I had to tweak it a little as I'm using Vray, so it runs to the Tags rather than the lights and the Range Mapper values have to be set to the Zero to One range for it to come out right but it's doing exactly what I wanted. So thank you very much, my brain is now a little fuller than it was yesterday morning!

rafaeljm

That's very interesting, and very simple. But I can't get how it's working. Obviously the bottom light called 'controller' is controlling the fade and I have a fair idea of what the Range Mappers are doing after the exercise I've just run through, but I can't figure out how the Range Mappers are feeding off the 'controller'. Also, as I'm using Vray rather than AR, the setup needs to control Tag parameters rather than the light's own parameters. Would this setup do that?

By the way, very nice showreel you've got there!

Cheers

Karl

thanks lesia. Actually the xpresso there is setup automatically. I´m just using the set driver, set driven commands. Almost on any parameter that can have animation on C4D, you just right-click or command-click over it´s name, go to animation, and click on set driver. That makes it the controller parameter. Then you go to the corresponding parameter on another or several objects at once, and click on Set driven (Relative or absolure depends on what you want to do). Here´s a movie showing the process:

Lights example

VAMP - "ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end" Roger Waters.

• Topic Author
  • Wow, mini tut! Stop it guys, you're spoiling me! Yes, not only looks simple when laid out, but also very simple to implement. I now know about twice as much about Xpresso as I did two days ago. Thanks very much for that.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • Here's a very rough 'n' ready test (excuse the compression nasties) showing a variation on theinfomercial's Xpresso setup cross fading from my 3 light setup (for the box) to my 8 light setup (for the bottle), each light group controlled by one HUD slider. Thanks again to all those who contributed.

Cheers

Karl