Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigbot

Vue Xstream And Cinema 4d

40 posts in this topic

Man do I wish I had found this thread before I had our IT group purchase Vue 6 XStream. We're calling it Vue 6 XScream, because it is all I've done since we brought it. SCREAM! For those of you who are thinking about buying it, think hard. For those of you who have it and can make it work, please post something that shows the rest of us how, because so far, we have NADA! ZILCH! We were trying to create a large mountain lake scene where the camera, a bird's eye view, starts out high and dives down toward the lake where the bird flys in and lands on a 3d logo.

It worked fine if you threw in one low rez lake and one low rez terrain, but God forbid you should assign any ecosystems or try to complete the entire environment, because anything of any size, crashes. Within C4D, it is the worst plug-in in our arsenal. Horrible. I fell for the whole marketing pitch, with the movie reel and everything. Someone said it earlier, it would take an XTremely large render farm to render even those 3 second snippets that were composited together into one demo reel. There should be some type of legal requirement for software suppliers to list how any purported output from their software was achieved. I am embarrassed that I asked our IT group for this bomb! If I could send it back tomorrow I would.

On the positive side, I did find the thread on camera mapping and I learned to create a mountain lake scene with a flying logo and Peregrine Falcon flying in, without ever touching Vue. But we had to cut the bird's eye view from above, diving in. We didn't have time to create the matte painting to match the image we used for the lake scene from water level.

It's a wise man that learns from someone else's mistakes. Do yourself a favor, think about this one really hard!

I'm wondering why I'm not having the level of instability xStream users are having. Since I upgraded my graphics card to an Nvidia Quadro, the program has gotten a lot more stable for me. This points to OpenGL issues in Vue. E-on just announced they will be demoing Vue 7 at Siggraph - I'd like to watch them try to manipulate a file I know will crash my Vue - I may bring a CD to the conference.

Jim

It will be interesting to see what 7 can do. Im not going near it till I hear positive feedback.

Roll on next week.

Cian.

I find XStream quite stable now IF 1) I don't embed the Vue data in the C4D file (if you do and it crashes, then you can kiss goodbye to the lot - C4D can't open it any more. and 2) I don't do animations (I don't use it for that anyway).

I still have some issues with the Vue or the C4D renderer (not sure which it is) hanging with certain shadow settings. This doesn't happen all the time so it is really hard to pin down why it hangs. There seems to be some conflict between the 2 renderers over certain shadows. I think it it's to do with situations where you have a part of the C4D textured with transparency and something casts a shadow inside the C4D object but I'm not sure.

One thing with Vue and Eon software - the latest update (and they come out so frequently it makes your head spin) is not necessarily the best. I find they fix an issue I don't have but create a new one for me. Always keep your previous versions so you can roll it back.

PS: Like C4D, the default Vue render settings are not optimum for speed- try a Google search on this. There is an article that goes through the settings you need to change to really speed up the Vue renderer. I can't remember where I saw it.

I just logged into the forum on a geometry issue I'm having with C4D and saw this tread. Got pulled away from what I was doing to add my 2 cents. I've got Vue 6 the stand copy last year. Buggy as heck but I did upgrade my video card, motherboard and went through a couple or more of Vue's upgrades fixes. I'm now stable on 6.5.04 build 291733. I was not using C4D at the time, saw that V6 Xtream had a C4D plug in and I fell for it after I got C4D. After wrestling with both software apps I am now able to pull in *.vue files. I don't have the C4D render app so I would compare the renders between Vue and C4D to settle on one or the other. I'm still new to each so I need to learn to tweak some more out of both.

Just now I added a Poser character to Vue and sent the scene to C4D. It was simple with procedural mountains, water and simple ECO system with a couple of lights.

Once in C4d I left the Incorporate Vue scene in C4d file checked. I can manipulate Vue's camera, lights and atmosphere. I can make changes to the Poser character and get the updates in C4d pretty quick. I added a Groboto object (lots of polygons), added a texture from Vue and got the updates in C4d pretty quick. I saved and closed the C4D file and application. I then reopened C4d, opened the files and all is well. (I did leave Poser and Vue opened at the time).

I haven't done any animations from Vue or Poser yet. I monitor my memory usage and release some ram when I can. Do I expect not to get a crash? I expect a crash every time I get on the PC. I try to plan for it. Makes you a little neurotic I must add.

I see that Vue is coming out with version 7. I hope it's stable. And I hope that if they are able to bring more features from Vue into C4D that I will be able to take advantage of the rendering options as I a ways off from buying the MAXON render module. If my wife catches me in her purse one more time she's going to cut the cord. That's the AC cord.

I've had the impression that when you issue a C4D render command, Vue hi-jacks the render - in other words, no matter if I render in Vue or C4D with a loaded Vue scene, I'm always getting a Vue render.

I'm probably wrong on this. But what exactly is merging from both renders if I render in C4D? How is this done?

Jim

James,

Both renderers work together (or they are supposed to). The Vue renderer takes control at the start but when the scanline reaches an object that is in the C4D scene, it passes control to the C4D renderer. The idea is that the Vue renderer renders the Vue scene and the C4D renderer renders the C4D objects, There is some data passing between the two for lighting, shadows and reflections and this is where I occasionally get hangs, particularly with shadows.

tried it (xstream pla for c4d)

installed

open c4d

try plugin

2 or 3 operations in - hard crash

try again

same thing

was C4D beta tester on original ozone - that crashed a lot too (OSX)

don't have any confidence in this software or the company

probably the most unstable software I've experienced in recent years

real shame - seems to have great possibilities - when it works it looks glorious

just can't put hours into a job to have it screw up

P

Thanks Steve - yes I get crashes with shadows and C4D lights - sometimes. I can understand why so many Vue owners are angry at the company - showing their really cool reel, and then finding out that it's nearly impossible to duplicate. I'd have a difficult time deciding whether to use Vue on a live job. The downside is often too steep.

Jim

Next Limit makes Realflow / Maxwell Render; E-On makes Vue.

Jim

A friend of mine has/had Vue xStream and C4D and had terrible times w/ it. When it worked, it was a beautiful thing to see, but it didn't take long (after some costly crashes, or stalls) for him to seek some other way to achieve what he wanted. In fact, he estimated that the time he spent doing it the "longer", non-vue way, he probably spent as much time using vue. Not all projects, mind you, but enough to conclude that the app. was likely rushed to launch.

For us C4D users, imagine a plugin that combines ADD THE SEA + DPIT? which integrates and interacts with the modules. I think, and have seen, some great stuff with both!

I think that it is worse getting frustrated w/ a product that has been launched as a final release AND RIDDLED WITH BUGS, then to wait a little or reasonably longer for a product that has only a few bugs (no app is perfect :)) and is production-ready.

I hope version 7 is actually an improvement in functionality first and foremost and then everything else.

Richard

Awesome thread. Very eye-opening. For all those who purchased Vue xStream and wish they hadn't, know that you convinced me NOT to get it. I had my eye on it for quite some time, but was concerned how the two programs would work together. Based on the rate of updates, the deceptiveness of their demo reel, etc., e-on sounds like a company that I do not want to business with. I have Vue 6 Infinite and it seems pretty stable on my system, but who needs the aggrevation with xStream's bugginess.

Though I do wonder how ILM and other effects companies are able to incorporate such a buggy program into their pipeline. Is it just that the C4D/Vue integration is buggy?

3D-Pangel