Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freshly

How Important Is Ram To Render Times

Hi people,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much the amount of RAM you have effects your render times.

I have 2 GBs of RAM if I went up to 8 or 16 would that speed up my renders significantly?

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2-DIMM

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks

Check out my portfolio site: http://www.sbdesigns.ca/

In general the amount of avialable RAM has no impact on renderspeed.

Only if there isn't enough RAM for the rendering and the OS needs to use virtual memory and starts swapping actively used data from RAM to disk you will notice a slowdown by several orders of magnitude.

Also keep in mind that more than 4 GB of memory can not be accessed by a 32 bit OS and application.

Check my website or the MAXON FAQs on this.

Cheers

Bjorn

I am on a 64bit OS I believe 10.5 Leopard is 64 bit, are there two versions of C4D 32 and 64 bit?

You are saying that I will get no improvement on render times if I go up to 4gb's ram.

>Damn that sucks, when is the 64bit coming for mac?

Do a search here or on CG Talk, this has been discussed numerous times

Cheers

Bjorn

srek, who knows these things, has stated that Apple recently and without warning moved the goal posts as far as compiling 64bit apps for OS X is concerned, meaning that developers have to basically start from scratch to create a 64bit OS X version of their app. So I don't think you should hold your breath.

Cheers

Karl

Hmm I have done some research and spoken with an apple re-saler and they said that Mac OS fully supportts 64bit and that there are people who work there that have 16gb's of ram running on there system identical to mine

Yes, the OS is 64bit but the apps have to be written specifically to run as 64bit and how you have to write the app to be 64bit was changed by Apple without warning. I think there's a lot of less than happy developers out there. So, yes, the OS is 64bit but until your app is also 64bit it's irrelevant.

Cheers

Karl