Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freshly

How Important Is Ram To Render Times

Apparently 64 bit is coming to the OS in Snow Leopard the new OS next year -but we have had that story from apple before.

Andy

Yes... but... because of the sudden change of direction from Apple, MAXON, along with just about every other developer, have been kind of stitched up. Even the likes of Adobe are suffering with Photoshop. That's an awfully lot of code to re-write.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • Apparently 64 bit is coming to the OS in Snow Leopard the new OS next year -but we have had that story from apple before.

Leopard is already 64 bit

Check out my portfolio site: http://www.sbdesigns.ca/

I remember reading this from Srek:

The OS is a mediator between the hardware and the application. Only those functions the OS makes available to applications (the API) can be used by the developers. When Microsoft ported Windows from 32 to 64 bit they made a 100% step so the switch from 32 to 64 bit was very painless if the developers have stuck to the rules of the API.

With OS X 10.4 Apple introduced a "64 Bit" OS that practicaly did have no 64 bit API at all and with OS X 10.5 they finaly introduced a real 64 bit API, but with very limited functionality compared to OS X 10.4

I imagine Srek is getting a little sick of the 64 bit question by now.

From what I can fathom there are real developer issues with leopard which currently have prevented true 64 bit apps -I cant think of any except apple chess !

but the outlook looks a bit brighter -no 4GB limit:

"Snow Leopard extends the 64-bit technology in Mac OS X to support breakthrough amounts of RAM"

http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/?sr=hotnews

Andy :)

Guest dataflow

but for c4d you are better off focusing on the CPU to speed up your renders.

ram has little effect on rendering (like Srek said ram only effects render if you dont have enough of it)

and 4gig should be enough (unless your doing a 100 things when trying to render)

A simple way to think of RAM is like a gas tank on a car. Adding more gas doesnt give you more power, and doesnt make you go faster. It just simply allows for further travel. Same way with RAM. Its basically a tank holding the scene for the CPU to render. More RAM means you can hold more of the scene efficiently. You wont render faster, but you can hold more for larger scenes. And yes, im sure this analogy has been used about a billion times, but it works.

The best way to speed up your renders is to upgrade the MB/CPU (or on a Mac buy a new Mac with a faster processor, like a Mac Pro 8 core :) ).

Now, if you are rendering large scenes with the 32 bit app and are running out of physical RAM, there is a way with XP64 to allocate real RAM as the 32 bit page file so you don't get the slow down when the app starts paging. Might be worth investigating if this can be done in OSX. Might not help at all, of course, and OSX might already do this "out of the box".

Apple systems support more than 4 GB since OS X 10.4 which at it's very base already was 64 bit.

But (and this is a very big but) not a single Apple application makes use of 64 bit. Only the OS uses it to spread the memory load of the different applications.

This way if you have for example 16 GB RAM CINEMA 4D as well as Photoshop, AE and let's say Final Cut can all use several GB RAM (but still no more than 4 GB max each) at the same time without running into swapping issues. Only with OS X 10.5 it became possible for applications to realy use more than 4 GB, but only if they were specificaly compiled for this.

Last year Apple decided to completely change the way they originaly proposed how developers should created 64 bit applications, which lead to many software companies (including MAXON) having put many months of development time into something that won't work anymore.

For the technicaly inclined, they went from recommending carbon 64 bit to axing it and making cocoa 64 bit compulsory.

Anyone moaning that there is no 64 bit version of CINEMA 4D for OS X yet should keep in mind that the number of currently available midsize or major 64 bit apps for OS X can be counted on the fingers of one hand easily, and the number of 64 bit applications from Apple can actualy still be counted on the fingers of one ear ;)

Cheers

Bjorn

• Topic Author
  • I hear ya, this is very true, I still love C4D and can't wait till it can take full advantage of my system, thanks everyone for your comments and input. I hope that apple doesn't pull anymore fast ones on the digital world.

Cheers

Steve

Check out my portfolio site: http://www.sbdesigns.ca/