Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freshly

How Important Is Ram To Render Times

Yes, the OS is 64bit but the apps have to be written specifically to run as 64bit and how you have to write the app to be 64bit was changed by Apple without warning. I think there's a lot of less than happy developers out there. So, yes, the OS is 64bit but until your app is also 64bit it's irrelevant.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • So its in MAXON's hands now

Apparently 64 bit is coming to the OS in Snow Leopard the new OS next year -but we have had that story from apple before.

Andy

Yes... but... because of the sudden change of direction from Apple, MAXON, along with just about every other developer, have been kind of stitched up. Even the likes of Adobe are suffering with Photoshop. That's an awfully lot of code to re-write.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • Apparently 64 bit is coming to the OS in Snow Leopard the new OS next year -but we have had that story from apple before.

Leopard is already 64 bit

• Topic Author
  • uhuuu, that makes sense :)

If srek is not answering then it's probably a safe bet that it's an area he can't go near as he's very helpful most of the time.

Cheers

Karl

I remember reading this from Srek:

The OS is a mediator between the hardware and the application. Only those functions the OS makes available to applications (the API) can be used by the developers. When Microsoft ported Windows from 32 to 64 bit they made a 100% step so the switch from 32 to 64 bit was very painless if the developers have stuck to the rules of the API.

With OS X 10.4 Apple introduced a "64 Bit" OS that practicaly did have no 64 bit API at all and with OS X 10.5 they finaly introduced a real 64 bit API, but with very limited functionality compared to OS X 10.4

I imagine Srek is getting a little sick of the 64 bit question by now.

From what I can fathom there are real developer issues with leopard which currently have prevented true 64 bit apps -I cant think of any except apple chess !

but the outlook looks a bit brighter -no 4GB limit:

"Snow Leopard extends the 64-bit technology in Mac OS X to support breakthrough amounts of RAM"

http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/?sr=hotnews

Andy :)

Guest dataflow

but for c4d you are better off focusing on the CPU to speed up your renders.

ram has little effect on rendering (like Srek said ram only effects render if you dont have enough of it)

and 4gig should be enough (unless your doing a 100 things when trying to render)

A simple way to think of RAM is like a gas tank on a car. Adding more gas doesnt give you more power, and doesnt make you go faster. It just simply allows for further travel. Same way with RAM. Its basically a tank holding the scene for the CPU to render. More RAM means you can hold more of the scene efficiently. You wont render faster, but you can hold more for larger scenes. And yes, im sure this analogy has been used about a billion times, but it works.