Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest allears

Clothilde - Carpet Unrolling

Guest allears
  • Topic Author
  • I am doing an animation that could be titled "A walk down the red carpet" and I want a realistic looking simulation of a red carpet unrolling down the aisle. I have seen some of the other methods that use a simple bend deformer but the results are quite less than realistic. I have tried using clothilde to create the effect but I can not get the self collisions accurate.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

I have attached some very rough Storyboards that are a sketch of the idea.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome :)

I doubt doing it with Cloth is a viable option. Have you looked at this scene file here? This may do it for you.

Your image was way over the maximum allowed. Also the file size was far to large. Load smaller images please. You might also want to update your profile with what version of C4D you have plus the modules. This makes answering questions much easier if we know what you have.

3DKiwi

Guest allears
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks. I have had a look at that scene but I need results that are far more realistic and natural looking... a simulation... or a combination of deformers that produce similar results.

I was hoping that somebody else out there has tackled this challenge.

This is a commercial job and I would be more than happy to provide financial compensation to anyone that can get me the results I am looking for.

It would seem that the basic mechanism in Nigel's file would serve. "more realistic and natural" might be better achieved with the right Material and tweaking the path it unrolls on.

Guest allears
  • Topic Author

"Carpet thown out to unfold" would be a better description of what the client is looking for... not just a simple unroll. I have been experimenting the past two days and I am very close to getting the look they are after.

they want all the secondary movements as the "carpet" or material hits the floor, such as ripples, folds, air passing under...

Sounds like they want a carpet to look like a much lighter, less dense material (like taffeta?) :)

Guest allears
  • Topic Author

After 2 days of tweeking and research I have a final result that both the client and myself are very pleased with. I did end up doing a cloth simulation (I have attached a still image of the carpet as it is coming to rest) It does end up laying perfectly flat on the floor plane in its final resting postition.

I still have to build the rest of the scene but I wanted to post what I have so far.

The animation is very dynamic and has a great look and feel....

• Topic Author

That looks great, did you use animated belt objects to unroll it?

Cheers,

Brian

Guest allears
  • Topic Author

I used deformers to get the geometry into a nice curled starting postion, set the points at the beginning of the carpet so they would hold it in place and then let gravity and the cloth settings do the rest.

The key was to really crank the Sub sampling settings on the expert tab of the cloth tag.

My settings ended up being:

Sub Sampling 100

All collisions on

all EPS Settings @ 0.05

It took about 10 mins to cache the 4 second clip but the results are perfect.

• Topic Author

Cool, thanks for the info, I guess if it's work for a client you can't post the animation, sounds good though.

cheers,

Brian