Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cosmicbdog

Turning A Spline Into A Polygon?

I've imported a vector from illustrator. It dropped it into C4D as a spline. My challenge is turning it into a polygon though, so I can take from a 2d thing to a 3d thing. I know I can do some extrude nurbs... but I want to hand craft this thing...

Thanks for helping a newb in need.

animated alternative streams of stuff

Guest chrishollins

Another way is to use the spline as a guide. Create an empty Polygon Object - Objects-Poygon - Then use the Create Polygon Tool from the Structure Menu. Just draw each Polygon around the shape of the spline. In this picture the Polygons are in a Hypernurb which is turned off. When turned on it will smooth the curves to match the shape of the spline. Note that when you turn the Hypernurb on all edges are smoothed. You don't want this in some places so you select the point where you want it sharp and you hold down the 'period' key on the keyboard and drag the mouse to the right. This weights the Hypernurb and will create a sharp edge at the selected point.

post-672-1216455596_thumb.jpg

post-672-1216456656_thumb.jpg

The loft nurbs worked a treat. I can edit it now. The problem is though how it created splices that were a bit all over the shop. I'm guessing the second method chrishollins suggested is slower, but makes the vector exactly how you'd like it.

I've yet to work out how remove lines in a polygon without it deleting a face. Is that possible?

animated alternative streams of stuff

I've yet to work out how remove lines in a polygon without it deleting a face. Is that possible?

Select the edge you want deleted and use the dissolve command (structure>dissolve)