Hey

please be considerate and disable AD blocker when you are on the C4D Cafe, because it helps us run this forum. We minimalized showing of the AD's all across the forums, so please, be so kind and at least help us by having AD blocker turned off. 

Rendercore Lab

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

megacal

Ar Vs The Others

megacal    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hi,

I want to add caustics, sss, etc to my renders. Is there a

review that compares the different render engines?

Is there a poll that shows how many C4D users have

AR, VRay, etc?

I see the review for VRay but it seems more like

the companys info than an independent review.

Seems like there was a review I saw several months

ago, and someone added a link to a very cool car model

outdoors that was done with C4D alone, i.e. without AR (?)

Thanks!

Cal

ps- also wanted to turn on the lights in this new forum. :)

sfBlackFox    2

usually, AR will do a great job. You just need to tweak it a lot to get things right. Vray however does that job quiet a bit faster than the AR You'll still need to tweak it and it has some issues, but overall it's a better renderer. ;) But it comes with a price. (if you are going to add volume caustics... those things are death slow on the AR - Surface is a little more doable, but it will still take a lot of time)

I've been looking around on the net for those questions, but nothing came up unfortunately.

I think that if you are a professional, you should have a copy. if you are an amateur, you can still have one. it can save you a lot of frustration with GI. just consider the price tag

Vilandra    1

Personally, I can say that AR is a great engine. It can produce some very nice renders, but since MAXON wont comment on whether its still being developed or on the verge of extinction, its rather hard to make the decision to buy it.

VRay is also a very good engine. Its very good for exterior and interior stuff, however the current version has an issue with flickering when you have object movement and GI. Not sure when this will be addressed, but to get no flickering, you have to adjust the settings up which kills render times. However for camera fly-thrus with no or little movement, its great!

FinalRender is one that a lot of people leave out, and im not sure why. Its a great engine and has the "architectural" material. Which means it uses the native C4D material settings. VRay cannot do this. You have to set up a seperate vray material. FinalRender also has the Shader Tree which looks like an xpresso window editor, but its for making custom materials.

When it comes to rendering object animation (like character animation), FinalRender does a great job, and its fast! I recently had the opportunity to use it on a small animation I made, and there was no flickering with very low GI settings. The only draw-back is that you'll need to familiarize yourself with the shader tree. At first it can appear impossible to learn.

Hope this helps.

megacal    0
  • Topic Author
  • AR is very old. And MAXON won't comment on whether it's planning on upgrading it

Hadn't considered that possibility, so I just emailed their customer support with that question....

is it still alive and will it be upgraded? Will let you know if they reply (or not).

Seems like they would want to keep us purchasing the module rather than a 3rd party engine.

VRay sounds and looks great, but at (cough! cough!) $1230 US vs $595, I have to think long & hard about it.

Thanks for the FinalRender info.....sounds like a viable choice for me.....will see if there are any trial versions

of the engines available to try before I buy.

Also will try to compare feature sets of the different engines, but you still have to drive it to know what it can do.

That's why I wanted some user feedback on what you like or not about a particular renderer, how many use

AR vs others. It will help me (an others hopefully) to make the decision on which one to invest in.

Things have been getting a bit tight lately! =O

3DKiwi    316

I see the review for VRay but it seems more like the companys info than an independent review.

The Cafe's review of Vray was completely independent as are the others. We're free to say what we like. Vray in my opinion gives superb results but it's way over priced or the C4D version is. I'm sticking with the AR module as it's easier to use and I'm still not getting the most out of it yet.

3DKiwi

Vozzz    81

yeah i have to agree with Vilandra. Vray is great for stills, animation is iffy. Like there are a lot of guides, but they are really long.

Vray is great for displacement though. It does it very quickly, and of great quality. (spd)

megacal    0
  • Topic Author
  • I'm sticking with the AR module as it's easier to use and I'm still not getting the most out of it yet. -3DKiwi

Good to know.....but would like to get some feedback from MAXON about AR's future.

megacal    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hopefully they will want to assure us they are still developing it.

I'm still optimistic (notwithstanding the price of petrol, melting glaciers,

and a sinking dollar).....will let you know. =)

megacal    0
  • Topic Author
  • ...just had a nice chat with a good guy at MAXON USA in California, and

without devulging any details, assured me that AR is indeed viable

and being developed.

So as Steve said, we'll have to "wait & see".

I'll start saving my milk money.

laugh.gif

StCanas    17

There's a few posts here saying that Vray doesn't work for animation. Mmmm...

http://www.swaystudio.com/Sway_Mine_HR__.htm

This is the 3D Max version of Vray but the only thing that differs here is how it links to the program. The render engine, the part that determines if the image flickers or not, is exactly the same. This animation is 100% CGI.

Cheers

Karl