Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IBMike

Creating Wetness In Bodypaint

• Topic Author
  • I'm working on a scene in Bodypaint where the ground is dry concrete. The concrete is a texture in the Color and Bump channels of a layer. I would like to be able to brush on areas of wetness. This would involve making the concrete look darker, and shiney and you know, wet. Or. maybe this isn't the right approach. Has anyone done anything like this in BP (or even if you haven't) who might want to give me some tips on how to go about it? Thanks!

Yep, darker and shiny.

Just change the color to a darker shade and go nuts with the specular map.

check this one out... it was one of my first tries with BP... I tryed to create some wettness on the bottom of the broken pipe...

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/index.php?autoc...si&img=3049

did it with specular painting and refl. painting and placing some extra light just for the specularity..

Greetz Dutch

• Topic Author
  • OK, I'll take a look. Thanks

I took a look at it. I like what you've done there, but I'm not really seeing too much shininess, but then your scene is indoors. My scene is outdoors under bright Sunlight.

:thisrocks: that scene is an outdoor scene hahahaha...

anyway, yeah I remember having a hard time with the spec lightr placement... but with the lighting tool we have now that shouldn't be too much of a problem... just use the specular placement so you get an extra light too give more spec. to the wet surface otherwise it's pretty hard to get the effect you're looking for..

Greetz Dutch

edit: btw. if you're making a scene in bright daylight I would also make the ground that's wet alittle darker(like in realworld).... and also because a darker surface reflects better...

I think that would be a good way to achieve a realistic result...

• Topic Author
  • OK, thanks. Sorry, I thought the towel thing hanging over the window was like a curtain or something (on the inside). I was mainly looking at the pipe. Yes, I think this is going to be harder than I thought. The more I think about it, the more problems I see.

no risk no fun... everything is doable and I'm curious what you come up with...

when you start with painting the ground where it's wet darker then you're on the right way... placing the lights would also be very important for this one... but hey who said it would be easy :thisrocks: ... I also think taking a good look at ref. images would be very important for this...

Greetz Dutch

Actually, I think this is a matter for the diffusion channel and reflectance. It's not that there is no specularity, but the cement is darker partly because it's more saturated and reflecting. I think you will have good luck with a mask that lets more diffuse and more reflectance (it could be the same mask) . But doing this in BP is beyond my beans and taters.

Guest dataflow

is this the kind of thing your after?

That sure looks wet. All it would require to look like puddled water, would be some shininess (in the Reflectance channel?)

• Topic Author
  • Dataflow, I agree with Anthony, that does look wet. Have a recipe?

Guest dataflow

ok this is how is did it.

i think images speak for them self

if i missed something our you cant work it out just let me know :)