Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steeth

How To Change Texture Search Path?

• Topic Author
  • Hi everyone and thanks once again for a great C4D Place!! Come here at least once a day when I have the chance!

To my question:

Something that´s been bugging me for a long time now that I havn´t managed to find the sollution for is how to "collect" or change the texture search path in the scene file without having to manually click each texture image and re-link it every time you open a project that someone else has done or that you´ve mooved to a different drive.

Is there a command or way of doing a "collect all textures" or something like that so that you can easily moove all textures to the right location without having to manually go to every texture image and change it? I always work towards external harddrives, and I´ve noticed that even thou I open a scene file from my external drive I created it in, if that external drive has changed its drive letter if I have other drives hooked up, I can´t render the scene since the search path is to the other drive, even thou the texture folder is right there..

I hope I make sense. I´ve searched myself crazy for a sollution, but maybe I´ve been searching for the wrong things because I havn´t found any answer what so ever.

Please help :)

Kind regards

Guest dataflow

if you put it in the folder of the project or a folder in the project folder called "tex"

you then just need to put the file name including ext.. (without the drive/folder path)

so then as long as you keep it in the folder or tex folder of project you shouldnt need to find it

Under 'preferences', 'texture paths' you can set the locations that C4D searches for textures. You can set up to 10 different locations for it to search

• Topic Author
  • Thanks a lot for your quick replies.

What I was looking for was more was if there is a type of "collect files" command, like there is in Premiere Pro for instance, where you collect all the linked files connected to that project in to the project folder. I normally end up trying many various different materials and textures when I´m doing a project, and if I do the "copy image to file folder" command when I load an image in a material, I end up with a lot of images that I don´t use in my tex folder in my project, which means the project end up being larger than it has to be.

So what I was hoping for would exist was a type of "collect files" or "assemble project" or "save entire project as...." type command that you could use to save everything connected to that scene, including the textures that are used, materials and images in to either a new project folder or location, but not include all the unused images.. Or if you simply can "delete unused files" or something so you can get rid of all the texture files and images that are not used in the project?

Many times when I download someone elses project I get the same error. Even thou the tex folder is there with the correct images, when I render it still pops up a message saying "texture error" and that it can´t find the linked texture images because the search path is wrong. When I then simply click the texture image file in the material manager and navigate to the tex folder in that project folder, the image is there, and when I choose it - it works fine. It´s obviously no problem if there are only one or two images, but it´s such a hazzle having to go thru those steps for each and every single image in a material if there are several materials used in that scene file.

Since I get this problem so many times I would have guessed that there has to be other people who has this problem from time to time, or am I just stupid and doing it the wrong way? :)

Use Save project.

I am also having the same problem and was hoping to find a similar solution. I just manually relinked 40 tex images and it's a PITA. Most apps have a relink that work fast and easy. Such as FCP. Tell it to search certain drives or all drives. When it finds the first file and you say yes, that is one, it then finds all the other files it can in the same directory and your done. now save the project and the new links are all there.

I have tried prefs-texture paths in C4D and it does not relink. It appears that all the material textures in a file from someone elses system have links saved to a drive and path that does not exist on my system. Especially since I am mac and the original came from a PC wanting a path with C:\ The problem I see is a CD4 scene file has materials with texture links that it wants the original path when it should be searching for the "file" first and then relink to a new path where it finds the files.

So, is there some command or something that can tell C4D please go find all the material tex files and use the new path it finds?

Another problem arises when a scene comes from 3DSM and it it truncates file names and now C4D cannot find the material tex cus the names has changed. so a manual relink and guess is needed.

Gary

As James says. Save Project does exactly what you want. It puts your cinema file and all your textures in a folder that you name and in that folder is subfolder called tex into which go all your collected textures.

Steve

Steve ,

I wish it was true and that easy. That appears to not be the solution to what we are asking. I can save the project many times times and the materials have texture files with paths that don't exist. I can set a new path in prefs for textures and C4D will not find the files even though they are sitting there where I said they exist. It won't relink each material.

I know what you are saying about save. Yes, open a 3ds file in C4D and then save and that creates a new C4D scene file. But it will not always find the tex files correctly.

The problem also comes from moving/changing drives and then the path is broken. I have backups on firewire drives. I move what I need to my system drive and disconnect the firewire drive. C4D should know I have the tex files now on my system drive since I have the pat in the prefs setup.

What we are asking for is a simple "relink" process to the files. C4D wants the the whole path, not just the file. I have no problem with projects I create. The problem is form files of scenes from other people that we download.

I m on C4D r11 with the latest updates on a Mac.

Gary

i think you might be missing the point. there are two options: "save" and "save project" the save project does what you want. Or we are all understanding you wrong.

@greasemonkey: that is awesome, that will make my life easier! I wonder if it works with windows7 libraries...

save project only saves when all the materials tex files have been found. C4D is not finding the tex files to begin with. I just had to manually relink 40 materials with the new correct path even though the prefs has the path setup by me. The materials are all asking for a path that does not exist (from the original creator of the scene).

Gary

Hi Gary

What you had to do would be the normal thing to do when this occurs. People creating scene files that they plan on sharing should place all bitmaps in a tex fold that's within the same folder as the scene file. That way the file can be transferred without messing up the texture path.

3DKiwi

Nigel,

I sort of recall seeing something in one of the tutorials I have done over the last few weeks mentioning something about calling up a list of all the tex images that were missing in the current scene. Was it one of your tuts or do you know what I am asking about? I think it was in the attributes area or material manager??

Gary