Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AlanBell

Projection Man Workflow Example?

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • this is result i get after a bit of playing around with alpha channel

(havent activated my demo yet so didnt do the PS step)

Guest AlanBell
  • Topic Author
  • I noticed that the alpha does work if you set it to layer alpha but you need to be careful when you are painting that you don't paint over this area (as far as I can tell). On the other hand I am having a heck of a time when I try to add more objects.

Clearly MAXON needs to work on the documentation and clarify the work flow here.

Guest AlanBell
  • Topic Author
  • Hey folks,

Here is the cube that I managed to get to work. Unfortunately when I start adding more objects I seem to get fouled up. Lots of trial and error here. Perhaps dissecting this will help you 3dKiwi.

projectionMantest.zip

Guest AlanBell
  • Topic Author
  • Actually scratch that it's not working. I just turned off stack materials in the view port and noticed it's not using both mats. I'm tired and running in circles.

Good night.

I'm hanging off until Cineversity gets some tutorials up and running on it.

Nigel

Is this the theory on how Projection Mapping is done?

Set up 3 cameras, facing simple geometry that is textured with 3 different parts of a matte painting. The camera move is actually one camera's view morphing into the next camera just before the seams of that particular projection appear.

The end result is the appearance of 1 camera making a 3 dimensional move - even though it's actually 3 cameras and 3 versions of the 2D image.

If I get the basic theory down, I've got a better chance at using Projection Man as it was meant to be used.

Jim

Guest AlanBell
  • Topic Author
  • That is my understanding of the theory at least that is what MAXON seems to support in the workflow example.

My understanding is you start with say a digital photo or a painting that an artist has done. You use Camera mapping to project this image on to some foreground objects in the scene. The idea being that you can do limited camera moves to give the illusion that the photo or image is all actual 3D geometry.

So you start with a camera and use this to project the image from. Your animated camera starts from the same or almost the position as this camera. As the animated camera moves the image projected from the first camera becomes distorted or broken up. So here you create another camera and do another projection. What Projection man allows you do is coverage renders that allow you patch up these imperfections in Photoshop (or BP) using clone tools etc. The clever bit is Projection man creates the alpha channels for you and organises the objects that the camera projection is coming from. Something like that anyway. You can do Camera Projection without having to use Projection Man. Projection Man just makes it easier to manage lots of objects and the images applied to those objects.

Camera projection for anyone one wondering is the same as frontal projection except the the material doesn't constantly update and aim at the current point of view (unless the projection camera is animated). You can also alter the aspect ratio of the image being projected.

Nigel

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • my understanding of it is that is.

basically a camera mapping module that lets you modify the projection/image inside of c4d plus easily go from PS and/or BP (to modify the image/texture)

Guest deepshade
  • Topic Author
  • I'm hanging off until Cineversity gets some tutorials up and running on it.

Nigel

I think MAXON should release a comprehensive guide to this feature. If you guys are struggling it means the current documentation is lacking.

.2e Paul

I find that projection man makes my viewport too slow. I added the platecamera rig from cineversity and everything turns super slow. Moving a simple cube around is painfully slow.

If i follow the method described here

http://www.3dfluff.com/cameramapping/cameramappingtut.htm

the viewport runs smoothly.

What is wrong?