Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kshep

Rayfire For C4d?

I agree. I've sent off a request to Adobe. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm also getting Vray 1.1 when it ships. We'll be able to update our Vray review at some point to cover the new stuff and enhancements.

3DKiwi

Guest Joshfilms
  • Topic Author
  • Excellent hopefully they will agree with us :). I think I read somewhere on MAXON's website that 40% of AE users use C4D. That is a pretty big percentage!

Recording the tutorial in a few.

Relative to Particle Illusion: I would urge everyone to download the demo and have a go at it, but be prepared to lose about 3 hours because the interface is addictive and the results astounding. The neat thing about PI is that they make new emitters available every month which are donated by their user community. There is a ton of content to play with. The demo won't let you load these emitters, leaving you with the defaults to play with, but there is a neat PI viewer also available that will let you play and view them.

One thing about PI is that as a 2D sprite system, integration with 3D objects or background images is difficult but can be done. As an example, look at the attached video where I integrated about 3 or 4 emitters with an image of NY. It can be found

on YouTube (...YouTube really compressed the daylights out of it and as such the original is much clearerer...though 18Mb in size).

What would be ideal is a PI type plugin for C4D that integrates the sprites in your 3D scene. For those long lost trueSpace users out there, one such plugin existed called PPFX by Scott Miles (whatever happened to him?). When he was working on a follow-up to the next generation of Primal Particles (his tS particle plugin), I told him about Particle Illusion, suggested that he copy PI's interface and then put him in contact with Alan Lorence (PI's creator). Alan agreed and PPFX was born. Here is an example of PPFX in action on a trueSpace model:

As you can see, while you could integrate this in AE via an z-depth mask, it is much easier to get the sprites integrated into your 3D scene in a single step.

Relative to sprite animation, I know Stormtracer has this capability but no one can figure it out how to use it so it is useless. PI's interface is much easier to understand and far more powerful. IMHO: Getting this capability and interface to work in C4D is the best of all worlds.

3D-Pangel

P.S. Particle Illusion can be found here

I agree. I've sent off a request to Adobe. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm also getting Vray 1.1 when it ships. We'll be able to update our Vray review at some point to cover the new stuff and enhancements.

3DKiwi

Nigel,

While you are at it, please send a request off to e-on to do a review of Vue 7 xStream for C4D: they are boasting better integration with 3D applications in version 7 which hopefully means that it is more robust with C4D R11. Given some of the bad press that Vue 6 xStream received with the C4D community due to its instability and ability to corrupt your C4D files, they may be very open to giving you a free copy to review after it has been released.

Just a thought.

3D-Pangel.

P.S. While your at it....ask for two copies. spoton.gif

Guest kshep
  • Topic Author
  • Well truth be told, I was thinking about using Particular for the fire and whatever else I might need for the scene, but I had no idea about that external comp tag for the null object (Thanks Joshfilms thumb_yello.gif ). Also, i kinda wish that MAXON would at least give us a barebones particle layout preset for Thinking Particles and Xpresso; as a new user, I had absolutely no idea how to start. I think a layout like Trapcode's Particular would be muuuuch better (for all of their particle modules at least).

Particleillusion - I have it and I love it because of the very cool emitters they have, I just really wish they were 3D :( I will see what this PPFX is all about (thanks 3D-Pangel)

Thanks to all for your responses. I, too will be looking forward to those AE reviews.

Still sad that there's no "break-up" dynamics plug-in for C4d, but maybe R12 will do that.

Thanks again! this forum is gr8! :)

I too was a trueSpace user and loved using PPFX. Fast, easy to use and excellent results and you would hardly know that the particles weren't actually 3D but just 2D sprites.

Re reviewing Vue 7 xStream. Sounds good but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Here's an old animation of mine done in trueSpace. (wmv format) The flame and steam are PPFX i.e. 2D particle sprites. The bubbles are actual 3D particles.

3DKiwi

Guest Joshfilms
  • Topic Author
  • That was a pretty little video there Nigel. You are right all of the particles look 3D!

For most particle work, I too use Particular. The pipeline between C4D and AE is really smooth.

Guest pwnisher
  • Topic Author
  • Guys, there is something called Xplode for Cinema 4D. Check it out!!! Just google that junk!

I think Max is still the better weapon of choice when it comes down to vfx :)

Guys, this thread is 2 years old....

Guest deepshade
  • Topic Author
  • Do you think the developers at MAXON look at stuff like this and ask "Why don't we shoot for that with the next release of the dynamics module?" And I don't just mean what the tool outputs but the whole interface as well.

One can only hope. But there is a part of me that thinks TP is an "under the hood" application in desparate need to a GUI front end that even an artist can use. I just hope MAXON feels the same way.

3D-Pangel

No I don't. I think they look at the competition, see what sells and work accordingly. If it still works, (based on past experience) don't expect innovation. If you take out what was essentially a fix for a very out of date dynamics module and the integration of a project that someone else did, what did you get with R12?. At the current price point theirs absolutely no validity in the 'we're a small company ' excuse on development. Its up there with the big guns on price - it needs to deliver.

Back to TP. Granted , they've done a nice wash and brush up on the presets, but at the end of the day its still a 10 year old product (where the innovation in that). You should be able to work with 10,000's particles - TP is so slow, no easy way to generate proper collisions, ever tried to do convincing rolling on a surface and collisions, bouncing, rotation, TP is ancient, what's improved over the last 10 (yes 10!) years? The original particle system hasn't changed in over 14 years? I bet you'll not see a change until its taken over by a new system. Although after the release of new presets I doubt that will happen for another couple of years.