Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest archtop

Modelling An Archtop Guitar

If you use the Bridge tool, it is very easy to create polys with reversed normals. Your render suggests that this is what you have done. Select all polys and select align normals to fix.

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Hello Again Everyone

I have been using this program for about two weeks now and although I'm still scratching the surface of what it can do, I now have something that resembles the top plate of an archtop guitar.

It's built poly by poly, like Steve suggested (cheers Steve!). It was tricky around the tight corners of the waist to avoid 'triangular' polys. Still, I hypernurbed it it it came out good.

Some of my next tasks include:

projecting the f-hole splines onto the body and keeping the bezier shape, if possible (I have already made the hypernurbs editable, but can't figure out how to cut the shapes from the surface.

I will need to give the top plate a thickness, but with a catch... the soundboard needs to be 6mm along the centre line and taper to 5mm at the edge.???

Finally I will need to create g-code from this, buy a CNC mill and make the darn thing! :) I've already made a bunch of these by hand by the way - if anyone's interested to see what the end result is supposed to look like, see archtop.ie

Many thanks to everyone who has shown an interest here, helping newbies like me!

John

post-58759-1226159482_thumb.png

post-58759-1226159319_thumb.png

Guest shawnfoster
  • Topic Author
  • Remember, The Iron tool can be your best friend when you need to smooth your model .... Keep that in mind when you are modeling.. Your over all model will thank you for it..

Back when I was modeling a Chet Atkins Solid Body Acoustic Guitar... I used the IRON tool quite a bit to tighten up my own P2P modeling.

~Shawn

For the f-holes, you have 2 choices:

1) Don't make the HN editable, then try to model the f-holes into the mesh. This is harder but can give better results (pariclularly if you need rounded edges to the holes) than

2) Use a boolean on the HN mesh (either before or after you have made it editable). This will work OK but you will end up with sharp edges to the holes. Using the bevel tool on these edges is nearly impossible.

Modelling the holes is best if you are rendering but you need to be aware of the mesh topology. To make the holes you will need to make extra loop cuts, and this can upset the general form if you are not careful. If this is for manufacturing, I would go with the boolean.

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Steve. The model is purely for cnc production so boolean it is!.

J

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Hello Again!

making ok progress here. Have used the iron tool to good effect and the guitar is looking very even without the contours distorting too much. (I need to maintain high accuracy on the profile, for alignment of neck and full-sized suspended pickup).

A couple of questions I can't find the answers to:

Is there a way of selecting 'bottom' view, i.e. the opposite of 'top' view? smile.gif

On my attached pic, I exaggerated how I was trying to increase the thickness at the centre of the plate using soft selection. Thing is, I want the thickness to taper from the centre to the sides all the way down the back. Was going to go back a few steps and create a copy of the polygon top plate, make manual adjustments to the points, then join the two surfaces at the edges to get my thickness. But if there was an easier way...

post-58759-1226334912_thumb.png

post-58759-1226335184_thumb.png

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Again,

I'm trying to join these two planes and it's taking ages using the bridge tool. There's lots of points because I hyper-nurbed them first. I couldn't just extrude because the planes have variations in curvature.

Is there a way of doing a loop selection on the edge of each plane and bridging the whole edge in one go? (both edges have same number of points.)

Cheers, John

post-58759-1226849850_thumb.png

I think stitch and sew is meant to be able to do that, but I never got it to work.

Morph

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you very much!

Stitch and Sew worked a treat. Used loop selection on both objects and pressed shift while connecting with the S&S tool.

Bingo.

J

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • experiencing some probs with hyper-nurbs here...

I set some points to zero on the original poly object. When I put the object through the hyper-nurbs, the points remain at zero.

When I make the HN object editable, I'd like this area to remain flat, ie, zero. But it doesn't, it starts the curvature from the edge. Anyone know of a work-around?

Thanks, John

post-58759-1226856777_thumb.png