Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest archtop

Modelling An Archtop Guitar

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Steve. The model is purely for cnc production so boolean it is!.

J

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Hello Again!

making ok progress here. Have used the iron tool to good effect and the guitar is looking very even without the contours distorting too much. (I need to maintain high accuracy on the profile, for alignment of neck and full-sized suspended pickup).

A couple of questions I can't find the answers to:

Is there a way of selecting 'bottom' view, i.e. the opposite of 'top' view? smile.gif

On my attached pic, I exaggerated how I was trying to increase the thickness at the centre of the plate using soft selection. Thing is, I want the thickness to taper from the centre to the sides all the way down the back. Was going to go back a few steps and create a copy of the polygon top plate, make manual adjustments to the points, then join the two surfaces at the edges to get my thickness. But if there was an easier way...

post-58759-1226334912_thumb.png

post-58759-1226335184_thumb.png

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Again,

I'm trying to join these two planes and it's taking ages using the bridge tool. There's lots of points because I hyper-nurbed them first. I couldn't just extrude because the planes have variations in curvature.

Is there a way of doing a loop selection on the edge of each plane and bridging the whole edge in one go? (both edges have same number of points.)

Cheers, John

post-58759-1226849850_thumb.png

I think stitch and sew is meant to be able to do that, but I never got it to work.

Morph

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you very much!

Stitch and Sew worked a treat. Used loop selection on both objects and pressed shift while connecting with the S&S tool.

Bingo.

J

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • experiencing some probs with hyper-nurbs here...

I set some points to zero on the original poly object. When I put the object through the hyper-nurbs, the points remain at zero.

When I make the HN object editable, I'd like this area to remain flat, ie, zero. But it doesn't, it starts the curvature from the edge. Anyone know of a work-around?

Thanks, John

post-58759-1226856777_thumb.png

A hypernurbs surface doesn't pass directly through the control points, so even though you have set the points to be flat, the surface will curve above the second row. In order to get a flat start, you need 3 rows of control points set to the same position. 2 is not enough.

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Steve. That worked perfectly. J

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Back again... sorry!

Don't mean to 'milk' the forums but...

I need to extrude these polys out (along their x/z axis) not just in one direction, but out from the centre of the object (if you know what I mean?).

SO nearly there with this.

Thanks everyone,

John

post-58759-1226878858_thumb.png

Not quite sure what you mean. When you extrude polygons they are extruded in the direction that the polygons face is pointing in (referred to as a normal). If you want the extrude in one direction only do an extrude of 0 movement then use the axis arrow to move those polygons.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • You're absolutely right 3Dkiwi.

When I tried to extrude last night the tool wouldn't work at all. I think it was a memory-related problem. I had just performed a boolean with the guitar f-holes and the new body which has lots of poly's now, so the system was probably still catching up.

Cheers,

John

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Hi again!

More guitar parts in progress... I'm working on a compensated bridge at the moment. I used the boole tool a lot for this. It is almost exactly how I want it apart from a couple of sharp edges. Anybody know how I would put a nice round edge on these, bearing in mind it doesn't have a neat polygon structure?

Just ordered my CNC machine so hopefully these models will become real life objects soon...

Cheers,

John

post-58759-1227190091_thumb.png

post-58759-1227190106_thumb.png