Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest archtop

Modelling An Archtop Guitar

Guest Andoy
  • Topic Author
  • the thing with Boole's is that they rarely leave ou with a nice poly flow even when extreme beforehand planning is used.

What i usually find is that i have to manually weld points and use the knife tool to get a nice polygon structure with which to work with.

i know this can be tedious and a real pain at times but i personally think the effort is worth it in the long run..

Guest archtop
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Andoy

I was afraid I might have to do that!

J

One approach you can use that I sometimes find quicker when face with manual mesh optimisation after a boolean operation is this (it avoids the Weld step):

Turn on the filter for N-Gon lines so you can see them.

For each face you want to optimise, select all the polys and use the melt command. Keep on doing this until the only non-N gon lines left are the ones you need to keep.

Switch to the knife tool. Make sure that "Create N-Gons" is switched on (or you will get a mess), set snap to Points, and switch to point mode.

Now you can cut your mesh from point to point in a neat, considered, way. Sometimes you may be able to leave some N-Gons and triangles. If you are putting the mesh in a Hypernurbs, try to get as many 4 sided polys as possible and hide the triangles on a flat surface.