Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C4DS

Need Help Translation

• Topic Author
  • I am currently trying to translate the dialogues of my fairy tale short, in an effort to create english subtitles in order to post the short here at the Cafe.

Unfortunately, although I am able to translate most of it, it sounds/reads far from being native English text.

So, if someone is willing to lend a helping hand in converting the translated text, I sure would appreciate it a lot.

Appart from that there are also a few words which I don't actually know how to translate. I tried with Babelfish, but didn't get satisfactory results.

Here are some of these difficult to translate dutch words and their english results:

- kabouter -> gnome ( are there any synonyms ?)

- kabouterdorp -> gnome village

- speelkameraad -> playmate (I really don't think that's the word I want to use in a children's fairytale ;-) ... I am looking for something like "playbuddy".

- bosbewoner -> bunch occupants ( never heard of "bunch occupants" ... how to refer to the people and animals living in the woods ? )

- zeg -> say ( as in "Say ... how come you know the way to the gnome village" )

- ahzo -> ??? ( something like "I see" or "OK, like that" or "OK, I understand" )

- oei -> ??? ( expression, being surprised ... The gnome, hidden behind a well, says "oei" after noticing that others have discovered it, and are coming this way. )

thanks in advance

For "oei" I would go for "Woops" :)

Speelkameraad > just go for buddy or friend, shorter and easier :)

Ahzoh > alright could be another option

bosbewoner > something like forest people maybe EDIT * not what you are looking for, maybe Woodwose is a better term?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks.

"woops" is indeed a good one ... exactly what I was looking for ... or "oops" without the double-u ?

Woodwose ... never heard of it ... I'll need to trust you on this one ;-)

Buddy or friend is not strong enough to represent "speelkameraad"

I guess I will translate "ahzo" into "I see".

Lol, that woodwose one I've got from wikipedia... Don't have a clue honestly :)

maybe something like comrade is better for 'speelkameraad' ?

I think I've found the correct term to just be woodsman (pay attention to that s) :) how lame, but then so is bosjesmens

• Topic Author
  • "bosjesmens" is not exactly what I was referring to. As these are the people that "live in the bushes", they're some kind of tribe in Africa ... as far as I remember ... or was it in New-Zeeland?

I got some more to translate.

In dutch we talk about a "sprookjesbos" which I think is used in English as "enchanted forest", but enchanted actually means something like bewitched.

If you decompose the word into "sprookje" = fairy-tale, and "bos" = woods or forest ... a fairy-tale wood ?

"toveren" = to work magic

"betoveren" = to enchant

what's the expression when using the words "bewitched" or "spell" when referring to applying some magic?

Another one I have trouble with is an expression:

"met de voeten spelen" translated word by word means "playing with the feet" ... not sure if that is used in English. The dutch expression means that one is teasing an other (one is playing with the feet of the other)

bewitched is the term when you have cast a spell onto a person.

A spell in dutch is generally known as spreuk

For "met de voeten spelen" is a bit harder... it would be easier if you gave the context, because it can vary a bit :)

Pulling an ear could be a case, but then you could use it as stalling and then that would not work

• Topic Author
  • cast a spell ... that's what I was looking for.

I thought it was "throwing a spell", but apparently not.

So, can I say (the gnome asking the fairy) "Has the witch never tried to cast you a spell?"

Another translation issue.

The witch does smell the gnome, but to her the scent is disgusting (it stinks), we have a word for that =stank, but Bablefish does translate that into "fetidness".

I just want some everyday word to indicate a disgusting odor.

OK, the "playing with the feet context"

The fairy tells the gnome that she regularly goes to the witch to play with her.

The gnome of course surprised that the fairy would be playing with the witch ... but she only plays with her feet ... the fairy teases the witch so badly that she (the witch) gets upset and hangry.

Personally I find google language tools a little better than babelfish but they're not wildly different.

Gnomes are fabled to live underground so that would only suitable if that's what you have in mind. Alternatives, depending on their habitat, might be 'fairy [fairies]', 'elf [elves]' 'nymph [nymphs]', 'goblin [goblins]', 'troll [trolls]', 'dwarf [dwarves]'.

Aside from the difficulty of conceiving of a 'village' underground, 'gnome village' should be fine but it doesn't quite feel right. Gnome Warren perhaps? No, still not right.

Nothing wrong with 'playmate' either, despite Hugh Heffner connotations. Possible alternatives "best friend", "bosom buddy".

Bosbewoner? Woodman? Someone who lives or works in the woods. A hunter or woodcutter.

Ahzo? Very like "Ah so". (something like "I see" or "OK, like that" or "OK, I understand") Yes!

For "oei" a direct (British English) equivalent would be "oi". The suggestion of "woops" I think should read "whoops" or "oops".

Slippery stuff words!

'fairy tale forest' is good.

In English we might talk of someone 'casting a spell' on someone.

"met de voeten spelen" "pulling someone's leg".

• Topic Author
  • Ok for "pulling a leg" ... I'll need to slightly modify the dialog to match with the expression.

The gnome is actually not living underground, it's more of a specie that lives in dead tree trunks and large mushroom, so definitely not underground ... the fairy is known here as an elf, so I can't use elf for the gnome. It's a gentle gnome so goblin and troll is probably not appropriate ... maybe dwarf would be better then.

Yes, it's the Hugh Heffner connotations that makes "playmate" sound a little out of context here ;-)

I'm actually surprised to find so many dutch speaking people here at the cafe :p where did you guys study it?

wow, and what did you learn where?

I'm interested because this year I'll be graduated and I don't know what to do next