Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

morpheus

Arch Wip's

• Topic Author
  • Hey peeps

I've landed a small bit of Architectural visualization work which is a bit different to what I usually do with cinema.

I am just looking for some advice on how to start and have a few questions to any arch vis modellers out there.

I have some plans (PDF's not Cad files) I have laid them out in cinema at the scale I want, etc... How would you usually start? Create a plane and knife cut in the shape of the walls? Trace out splines from the plans to extrude into walls later?

How much of it is one mesh. Are the walls connected to the floor or are they a separate mesh?

There are quite a few curved walls in the design of the building. Does this affect the approach to modelling?

Any other advice you think would be useful would be much appreciated.

GLUG! GLUG! GLUG!!! (That's me in the deep end again... laugh.gif )

Cheers

Morph

i am far from an expert on Architectural stuf, wish i was cause i like it!

i usually build it seperatley, make the walls, floors etc, with the plans like yours you can trace with splines and just extrude the walls, seems logical to to me, be interesting to see what the comments are to see if im doing it all wrong......probably! i want some Architectural freelance work!!!

Good luck, be sure to post wippity wips

ha ha, good luck morpheus. :welcome:

I would construct the building in my cad program, then import to C4d to do the landscaping, lighting, add furniture, rendering etc.

it's definately harder work doing arch viz from scratch in c4d.

the few times i've done walls in c4d is to size a cube to my wall length, height, and thickness - knife cut and remove polys for doors and windows, but as i say, usually have my building constructed before opening c4d

• Topic Author
  • I figured doing the walls separate from the floor would be easier, I just don't want to end up with really sharp corners where the floors meet the walls if at all possible.

I am sure there are some tricks of the trade that I am hoping will be revealed....right here....in this thread! :welcome:

Wippetty Wips it shall be.

That would be the ideal way I am sure. I haven't been given a CAD version of the building, but I am sure there must be one somewhere. Who doesn't use CAD these days...

I've just never had any luck with getting the CAD drawings into Cinema though.

Morph

I've got a quite simple way.

Use rectangle splines to lay out your walls (or just whatever splines you need) then make them editable and connect all off them up into a new one.

Then place the connected onel into an extrude nurb and voila, you've got yourself your walls.

Note of caution: It sounds relative simple but you'll easily run into walls made out of 1 polygon. (having those gaps in your walls make your life easier and no one will notice there's only one polygon because there are floors coming on top of them)

For doors etc I just make my cuts the way they should be but make sure I make them go all the way around on XZ axis, delete the poly and bridge up the gap.

The advantage of making the cut go all the way around is that you only need to set the height of the door once.

Like you said before morph, it's better to stay away from connecting floors and walls. Otherwise you'll have a hell of a time bot texturing and trying to find your way around your model. You'll end up setting selections for nothing.

i don't know about england morpheus, but here in australia we have skirting boards attached to the wall where it meets the floor to mask the join. :welcome:

• Topic Author
  • i don't know about england morpheus, but here in australia we have skirting boards attached to the wall where it meets the floor to mask the join. :)

:)laugh.gif

Will have to put some in. One of the rooms has some of those curved wet room type floors. That will be fun! mf_bookread.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.

Here I go...

Morph

• Topic Author
  • WIP

The drawings I am working off are pretty bad, and for some reason they can't or won't give me any CAD drawings. Grrrrrr....

I've put in some sketch bits of furniture to hopefully start to give the model some sense of scale.

L8rs

Morph

PS. Could one of the admins move this topic into the WIP's section. Cheers.

Guest Cian

Looking good so far Morph.

Is your client looking for external aswell as internal shots?

If so what side of the building and which rooms.

Try not to make too much work for your self by modeling stuff that wont be seen.

I use Archicad for this stuff but as mentioned above, when using cinema to model a house

I would trace the walls on the floor plan with splines and extrude up.

Add the floors later.

Don't use booles for cutting window holes. Slows everything down after a while.

Good luck with it.

Cian.

Just saw your post. I was going to suggest opening your pdf plans in Illustrator (assuming they're still in vector format) and cleaning up your splines there before bringing them into C4D to do the extrude. It would save you creating the layout from scratch but you seem to be moving along nicely. It'll be a good project to watch.

Good start and from my experience the reference you're working from looks pretty much like standard architectural drawing practice. There may be a CAD file but for a domestic project I would not expect it to be detailed in the way an engineering project would be. I think the advice you have already received is good.

• Topic Author
  • Here is a small update.

I was off this project for a little while because of other work and marriage and all that.

Back on it again, needs to be done by the end of the week.

The updates are mostly obvious. All the rooms inside the building have their walls, doorways and windows cut out. I am going through putting actual doors and windows into all of them. Most of the rooms have bits and pieces in them.....kitchens, toilets, etc... all custom modelled.

I still need to add railings onto the balcony and then work on the roof areas.

Only some basic texturing with the wood, just so I aint looking at white renders all the time.

Cheers

Morph

EDIT: Anyone got any good settings for the glass in the windows? They are there, but don't show up too well. Maybe I just need to turn the transparency down a bit (though I don't want the glass to end up looking like it's frosted or anything)