Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sneather

Texture Only One Side Of Polygon?

Front and Back only have a meaning for single polygons. They don't have a real meaning for more complex polygon objects, there is no way for the application to differentiate what you want to be the front and what the backside.

Either don't use Thickness, or convert to polygons and use polygonselections.

Cheers

Bjorn

• Topic Author
  • Wow. That's really unfortunate. I thought this was going to be a very simple task. The object needs to animate blowing open, as an object passes through, and the two sides need to be different materials, in order to pull off the special effect. So, I can't convert it to polys, or I lose the animation.

What in the world do people do in similar situations? This must come up often when people are using cloth.

The only thing I can think of is to start with a plane give this plane some thickness.

Select all the frontside of the plane make a selection tag.

Same for the backside of the plane.

Make 2 materials and put those on the plane and bind them to the selection tags.

After this you can play with cloth.

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

Edit: srek was quicker. LoL

So, I can't convert it to polys, or I lose the animation.

Why? I'm sure there's a way around your problem. Any chance you can zip up your scene and upload.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • It's already posted, in all its glory. Check half way back up this thread: "front back issue.c4d".

Thanks.

Okay got it. I suggest in future that you deleted the cache and zip the file up. That way it comes in well under 1mb.

What you're wanting to do isn't really possible. You can use a flattened cube and the results are only average with each side being treated like a separate cloth object. Yet another way is to duplicate the cloth and offset it slightly. Give one cloth object some thickness and the other none. The result is better than using a flattened cube. Here's what I mean. Just cache both cloth objects.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Thanks, Kiwi, and sorry about the wonky file size. Yeah, I already tried that duplicate method. Unfortunately, for the final shot I'm after, I really need something high quality, and as it is, my mesh will be so high that doubling the effect will be a deal-killer. I seem to have a knack for exploiting limitations in C4D.