Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest dynamike

.obj Material Problem

Guest dynamike
  • Topic Author
  • Hi!

I've purchased a starfighter model as an .obj fil with the accompanying .mtl file.

However, when I try to load the obj file into c4d it loads the model with blank or greyed out materials.

I've even tried to import the object using the Riptide plugin but without success.

Any other ideas. BTW. I'm a C4D newbie

kind regards and thanks in advance for any advice

That's the way OBJ import works. The MTL file only carries the name of the material and the polygons to which it applies. You have to go through the materials in C4D and set them up as you want. This is all you can expect, as how would the OBJ file know what application it was being loaded into, as each app has a different way of creating materials and textures.

Guest dynamike
  • Topic Author
  • ok, well then the material file is damaged or something. Because it does import the material names but the materials themselves are all grey or white (when the should be in colour and/or with a texture) right?

Guest MilesBaskett
  • Topic Author
  • the mtl file just tells where the textures would go, you need more than just the mtl, but texture maps as well.

The .mtl file does indeed contain color and texture filename information - it's a text file, just open it up in a text editor and have a look.

If it looks like it should be setting up some colors (other than grey), then Riptide must not be finding the .mtl file (or if you're using Riptide Pro, you may have channels disabled in the Import Options Dialog). The name of the .mtl file that Riptide looks for is found inside the .obj file - which is also a text file - look for a line like this:

mtllib somefilename.mtl

...Riptide will look for "somefilename.mtl" in the same folder as the .obj file it's loading.

Inside the .mtl file, there are various channel records (for ambient, diffuse, specular, bump, etc) which may or may not list the name of some texture file. If there is a texture filename listed, Riptide will inform C4D of that name - C4D will attempt to find the file by looking in the various "Texture Paths" you have set up in Cinema 4D's Preferences Dialog. If you are using Riptide Pro, you can also specify a preffered path to search for texture files.

Cheers,

Keith

I can't get this importer to work right for nothing. I have all my textures in a folder and I have the .obj and .mtl in the same directory and the materials always come in white. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I can't get this importer to work right for nothing. I have all my textures in a folder and I have the .obj and .mtl in the same directory and the materials always come in white. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Which Importer? Riptide? If so, keep in mind that you have to activate it using it's entry in the "Plugins" menu - you can't just "Open" an .obj file - when you do that, you're using the built-in .obj file Import code, which doesn't look at .mtl files at all.