Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhpdigital

Optimist Needed

• Topic Author
  • Hi. I'm working on an image for print of an electrical plug which sparks and emits smoke. The problem I'm having is that Pyrocluster is painfully slow at print quality and the results aren't that good either. Does anybody have any good fast volume tracer settings or tips to optimise things they could share? Render over night got to 12 hours by this morning and not even half way through! Had to stop it as deadline is tight. Thanks dhpdigital :)

Hey DHP,do you have any kind of ref you could post to show a bit clearer what you are trying to achieve?

I don't have pyro...but have had some reasonable results using small planes/placards with an alpha tex for smoke,these could then be put in a basic particle emitter...as for the sparks maybe something similar or are you looking more for arc'ing like a mini lightning bolt? in which case maybe MoG tracer.

Having said all that,if its for print,would it not be easier to photoshop something over your plug render?

if this image is just from one angle and theres not alot of time I would say either

a. photoshop a set of alpha images with sparks and smoke on and place them in the scene and then render

or

b. do the render without any sparks and smoke and just photoshop them in afterwards

or if you still want to use pyrocluster...

c. do some renders of just the pyrocluster sparks and smoke with alpha channel on and use these images as textures on planes for your final render

• Topic Author
  • Very early WIP render without smoke shows the rough idea. The reference image shows how a real arc from a plug comes from inside and not over the top so I cant retouch on a spark. I'm using SSS material with some lights with noise inside for the arcs. It's the smoke that's taking toooooooooo long and doin me ed in :)

Guest Joshfilms

Hello dhpdigital I can't offer much help on pyro as I don't use it much because very slow (outdated) but out of curiosity do you have AE? Trapcode particular can make some very nice smoke and sparks.

Your sparks look great though. Are you using pryo for them?

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • Smoke test render on a small section looks good at screen res but took 10 mins to render. Guesses are at print quality it would take too long...

Alright,I get you now..well the sparks look good spoton.gif a little theatrical maybe...in my real job,i've seen quite a few plugs arc/burn out,reckon there would have do be something really dodgy going on for 13A to arc that much...but i guess it gets the message across.

Looks to me like your easiest solution would be to just photoshop the smoke on...

Guest dataflow

open the "PyroCluster - VolumeTracer" material

then change "Render Mode" to "User"

and increase the "World Step Size" to about 28 (no higher then 30 or youll notice quality change)

• Topic Author
  • Thanks data. I'm on 25 already. Higher makes the smoke vanish into small clumps ranting.gif

Maybe Photoshop is the only way on my deadline. I can't wait for the future to come where we don't need to render any more. Live hi-res updates instantly is the way forward.

Guest Joshfilms

If you have no AE then photoshop maybe the answer but you may want to try out this method for C4D smoke. Rantin Al has a post about making smoke with visible light.

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. I'll take a look. :)

Guest Joshfilms

Welcome hope you get it figured out!

-Josh