Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hulaboy

Vue 7 Xstream And C4d 11 Mac

As for the mails being resend by e-on. I have just been flooded by every mail and bug I ever have submitted. I think there's something wrong at their side. Their mailserver just sends out all mails I already received over past few years. So it isn't just their own software that is buggy ;-)

Anyway, I ordered the upgrade and have downloaded all files. Will see if there's a difference between PLE and the real thing ... but I'm on PC, so that info will not help you.

• Topic Author
  • OK, call me rash, but I've just bitten a couple of bullets and ordered the upgrade (Vue 6 Pro Studio to Vue 7 xStream), on DVD. I'll cross everything that can be crossed and trust that e-on really do want this to work properly, because I certainly want it to.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mark

After my experiences with Vue 6, there is no way I am trusting E-On to produce anything remotely usable. They will be after your money for Vue 8 before they have fixed Vue 7. It doesn't take a crystal ball to predict there will be update after update, some of which will work and others that break your system. The last release I really liked was Vue 5. I still have it and I think I will re-install it. OK, it doesn't link to C4D as well but then neither did Vue 6 and in all probability Vue 7. How not to do it. I am glad MAXON take a much more quality oriented approach (thanks Bjorn).

....and trust that e-on really do want this to work properly, because I certainly want it to......

They have never really bothered in the past with C4D customers so why now? One primary thing you have to understand with E-On is that they are prioritised. 1) Studios 2) Max and Maya and 3)last by a long way, C4D.

I'm with you, Steve. that's why I've not bought until I've seen a workable PLE. There is one category lower than C4D users for e-on, however, and that (it would seem) is C4D Users on a Mac.

Hulaboy - when you get it, let us all know how you get on!

Regards,

Adey

• Topic Author
  • I'm with you, Steve. that's why I've not bought until I've seen a workable PLE. There is one category lower than C4D users for e-on, however, and that (it would seem) is C4D Users on a Mac.

Hulaboy - when you get it, let us all know how you get on!

Regards,

Adey

OK. It has arrived. I've installed. That's almost as far as I've got, so this isn't to be taken as any kind of review, just raw, initial impressions.

It seems to work, unlike the PLE. I can add and edit items using the xStream menu from within C4D. If anything it seems to be more stable and I am able to render quicker from inside C4D than using xStream in standalone mode, but that may be down to me still trying to fully understand the beast. I suspect that basic editing of Vue elements within C4D will not be as seamless and pain free as the e-on website would have you believe, but that is just a feeling until I can test more thoroughly.

Running xStream as a standalone is not a worry-free experience. On my MacBook Pro it crashes every time on launch, sometimes several times, just before the viewports are drawn. On relaunch I get a hardware incompatibility warning, but saying no to the OGL disable/compatibility dialog lets Vue load. I've posted on the xStream forum at E-on about this.

So, nothing like as comfortable an experience as it ought to be at this price, but hopefully OK after an update or two more.

Ha! - famous last words.

Mark

Thanks Mark and good luck. Keep us informed, especially on the Open GL as I was getting those messages when I tried Vue 6 and regardless of which option I chose, the viewport refused to render correctly in wireframe.

All the best,

Adey

Hi

I am currently working on a little animation with Vue7Xstream in R11 on Mac including a city in the clouds. At the moment, I only have a "CityGen"-City from C4D and several cloud layers and sunlight from VueXstream7 in the scene. The camera is from the C4D-side and is animated along a spline. So far, there were no big problems with this WIP-project (only that it renders extremely slow, if the camera is inside the volumetric clouds).

QuickTime, 10Mb:

http://www.cardiomyocytes.com/movies/cityintheclouds_1.mov

Looking good, Christian. Nice work. Keep us posted.

Adey

• Topic Author
  • Been a bit busy with other things, so this is a minimal update on how it's going for me.

Managed to solve my launch issues by preventing Vue from performing a startup check on hardware compatibility. I'm running the latest official build and on the whole it's more stable and better integrated than I had expected. Moderately complex vue scenes do slow Cinema object manipulation down a bit, but it is still usable. I plan to move the whole application combo from my MacBook Pro to an octo MacPro with more RAM in the next few weeks, so that should help.

One serious problem on the Mac side is that passing the Vue scene back and forth between C4D and the standalone xStream is broken - and apparently that hasn't been solved yet in the current beta. It's possible to open a Vue scene in C4D, but if you modify it within C4D you cannot send the modified file back to Vue. I understand the Windows version doesn't have this bug.

Next thing is very odd. I haven't yet built a full test scene of my own in C4D but I have done some render testing using unmodified sample scenes from Vue, to try to gauge the comparative performance. As an example, the Cerro Verde scene takes 12 minutes 10 seconds at 800x600 using Vue7 standalone - the exact same scene, same size takes 6 minutes 39 seconds when the scene is housed within C4D. To my eye the resulting renders are absolutely identical, and yet the scene has no C4D content so, according to the Vue documentation, the entire render is being generated by the Vue renderer. That's a huge time difference, and if anything I'd have expected the C4D-housed render to have taken longer.

I'll post more whenever I can get round to building some more complex mixed C4D/Vue scenes.

Mark

I think you'll find that X Stream overides the Vue settings based on the settings in C4D, so the same scene rendered in standalone Vue is probably using higher quality render settings, I can never really work it out but I think XStream looks at the C4D AA settings to decide how Vue is going to render.

• Topic Author
  • Ah, thanks, Steve. I hadn't realised that Vue did that, and looking again more closely at the previous test images I could see that there was no texture antialiasing.

So... I thought I'd see what happened with C4D antialiasing on Best at the default settings. My less than seven minute render time ballooned to an hour and four minutes. Yikes!

Much more testing and fiddling with settings needed, I guess.

Mark