Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest QuentinB

Can Clones Be Objects For Another Cloner?

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Hi,

Im uploading 2 scenes that I have setup so that you can examine to get a better Idea of what Im trying to accomplish. In scene 1 I am trying to clone a circle spline then use a random effector on its rotation. Then take those cloned splines and use them as the object for another cloner so that I can place planes on there points.In Scene 2 I am using a cylinder as the object for a matrix, then using that matrix as the object for a cloner to put planes on the points. This way gets me almost exactly where I want to be, problem being I can rotate the objects the way I would like too. So to get around it I put a twist on the cylinder, and they do rotate in the directions I want them to, problem being my planes start flipping on there on axis, thats not what I want though. Why this way? If I do not do it this way I wont be able to rotate these planes in the manner that I would like too, I will also not be able to randomize the scale in the way I would like also. Please examine the scene file and offer your feed back, its appreciated ^_^.

Quentin

clonerExample.c4d

clonerExample2.c4d

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Someone from another forum commented this to me:

"Drop a clone object in a clone object- one set to radial and the parent set to linear. Then Animate the offsets? Really having trouble parsing what you are trying to accomplish."

I Tried that too, but if doing it this way, I cant randomize the scale and position values of all the planes I would have cloned. For instance If the first clone is a radial of planes, sure I can randomize there position and scale, but when I drop it into another cloner set to linear the resulting planes will be the same as the first clone. So I'm really trying to make sure every plane can be random while still being able to rotate each row. I hope this sounds clearer.

I can't follow your description. Is the attached what you are trying to achieve? What I've got here is each level controlled by its own random effector. Change a random effector's settings is only applied to that layer i.e. bottom layer.

It might be easier to supply a start scene showing the planes in position and then describe what transformation you want applied to them. Do that in plain English.

3DKiwi

Sorry I don't buy that it's a bug on some PC's and not on others.

I suggest that if think there is a bug that you get in touch with MAXON via their on-line support form.

3DKiwi

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Hi,

The two files that I provided are both unfinished, But they contain in them the problems I am asking about. In scene one, I am trying to clone a spline then use those clones as objects for another cloner to clone planes on to it. But the second cloner only recognizes one of the splines, it isnt recognizing all of the clones. The reason I one to do it this way is so that I can rotate each entire row of clones seperately and still be able to randomize the size and scale of each plane that will be cloned on to the splines.

Earlier today I basically tried this a different way.......I dropped down a cloner made it radial and cloned a bunch of planes. I can make those as random as I want, then I cloned that object and made the new cloner linear. That was fine I could rotate it the way I want to, but, in doing it that way each row of clones are the same, I am trying to get more control................. so I tried to get that control in other ways, I.E. the two files I uploaded, if you press play in scene 2 you will see the rows of planes rotating, but they are each flipping, so although I have the row rotating the actual plane is not aligned up and down the way I want them. In the first scene, Im basically trying to clone a spline then use the clones of it to clone stuff on to its points..........................

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Also I am noticing that you cant put clones onto other clones, right? If you can, then something is definitely wrong with my c4d

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • I can't follow your description. Is the attached what you are trying to achieve? What I've got here is each level controlled by its own random effector. Change a random effector's settings is only applied to that layer i.e. bottom layer.

It might be easier to supply a start scene showing the planes in position and then describe what transformation you want applied to them. Do that in plain English.

3DKiwi

Sorry I don't buy that it's a bug on some PC's and not on others.

I suggest that if think there is a bug that you get in touch with MAXON via their on-line support form.

3DKiwi

Hey I just looked into your file, it has the same problem I ran into earlier, If I do it this way I can't give each plane a random scale nor offset its individual position, it scales the entire row up or down.

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Also, can you take one cloner and put it in the object input of another cloner. What I mean by "object" is instead of linear, radial, or grid, use object. Just like you would put a matrix in the input, instead of the matrix use another cloner object.

Pass. Maybe it can't be done?

3DKiwi

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Ouch, I love Cinema, but I guess it can only go so far. Houdini really is nice for customization.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • have you tried adding the "random effector" to the child cloner (not the main cloner)

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • ^ I think there are plenty of people who would argue with that :)

Instead of Cloners, use a Mograph Matrix object to decide the position/orientation of the 'original' clones.

Then use as many Cloners as you like in object mode targeting the Matrix object as their reference object.

Now you can effect all of the clones together by adding effectors to the matrix object, or just some of them by applying effectors to each of the individual cloners.

HTH,

Cheers,

Brian

I tried doing that too, did you take a look at the files I posted? Perhaps you can figure out a work around.......

have you tried adding the "random effector" to the child cloner (not the main cloner)

I want to randomize all of the objects not just the ones from the child, if I do it only to the child, then when it gets cloned, it will look the same.