Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest QuentinB

Can Clones Be Objects For Another Cloner?

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Also In scene 2 I used the twist on the cylinder to try to get the rows of planes rotating the way I wanted, but unfortunately in addition to the rows rotating, the planes start flipping. I tried using the upvector in the martix object, but didnt work, they still flip, and I tried using the target effector but got unwanted results as well.

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Sorry to keep replying, but also when I tried using a matrix object, I got what I wanted to a certain extent, I still had an issue with rotation. Because the planes would only rotate on their on pivots, I couldn't get each row to rotate. Sorry if I seem like a pain *_* C4d has a lot of good stuff and is extremely easy to use, but sometimes, somethings aren't so easy in it when they are in other places.

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • So there maybe a way to access the objects of each row separately using xpresso? It wouldnt be by index, would have to be another way to access the clones specifically from each row. I wonder if 3d kiwi knows how to do that........... I know how to access that kind of stuff in other programs but not in c4d xpresso, I have used it for somethings, but not to go this deep yet.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • what c4d do you have?

because you would need to have c4d10.5 and above to use "mograph selection"

its not in earlier versions

I'm still having trouble understanding what you are trying to achieve. If I knew that I might be able to offer more help.

3DKiwi

p.s. Can you please update your profile with what version of C4D you are running.

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • I am in 11.0 now, but 3Dkiwi uploaded a file here earlier using mograph selections and setup different random effectors to be used with selections, but, the rotations on the objects in each selection groups were not what I was trying to achieve, instead of rotating the entire row, each clone would rotate on its on pivot. If I wasn't looking to control how random each clone is I would not have a problem, I could just use an initial clone object set to radial and randomize the planes then clone that, but then the clones of that would be too similar for what I would want. Although it could work out in some case. I just want to be able to randomize scale and position of my clones while have the option to rotate each row instead of each individual one. Thanks for the Idea though.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • go to the random effector "Deformer" tab and change "Deformation" to object (on each random effector)

see if that gives the result you want.

im with kiwi on not fully under standing what you want to achieve

ill try to explain what i think you want and see if it right

eg... you want to place (clone2) cloners onto (clone1) cloned object. (part 1)

then you want clone2 to spin(rotate) in place. (part2)

then you want to have random individual position and scale on clone2 (not as a group). (part 3)

So why not have multiple cloners? i.e. one for each row. To rotate an entire row you rotate the cloner.

So a plane object under a cloner, then another plane object under a cloner etc etc. You can then also use either one effector or have an effector for each cloner.

Sometimes there is no easy answer and you have to use lots of objects.

3DKiwi

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Hi Guys,

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and assistance!!!! I was just thinking about doing that a little while ago 3DKIWI, but as far as this job goes I worked something else out before I began posting questions about this. I really asked these questions because I want to learn what I can and can not do and in what ways with C4d and the mograph module. I'm uploading two more files so I can clear up any confusion....sorry about that. Press play in each file to see clearly what I mean by rotation. In example 2 you will see the type of random positioning and scaling I want, but when you press play you will see what type of rotation I do not want. In example 3 when you press play you will see the rotation I do want. I did find something that worked out ok for this job though, especially since I'm mapping different photos to each plane.

Thanks again!

clonerExample2.c4d

clonerExample3.c4d

You need to make one Cloner in Object mode (using the Spline) and use the Plane as the cloned object.

This will give you a ring of planes.

Place this Cloner group under another Cloner in Linear mode. This will give you multiple rings of planes.

Add Effectors one at a time and RENAME it with reference to which cloner it is linked to and what parameters it affects.

In fact, rename all MoG objects with something relevant. It makes life easier.

Use the Effector Sliders to add keyframe control. Don't use the settings in the cloners.

You will have better and easier control this way.

File for my interpretation of your first sample attached.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to achieve in the second.

Cheers, Alan.

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • I opted to not do it this way because I was wanting to be able to make the planes more random, including the ones that would be part of the linear clones. After I clone my first ring, I can only adjust the random scale and position of the planes in the first cloner. Ofcourse doing it this way would give me the rotation I was looking for but I am losing something else, like 3dKiwi said, doing one cloner for each row was probably a better idea in this case. Oh in that second file I was trying to drive the rotation of my rows by putting a twist on the cylinder that I was using for my matrix object.

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Sorry Guys, ^_^ I'm not trying ruffle any feathers, I am coming from Houdini which has something called copy stamping. I haven't seen any thing that can do what I does in any other software. The reason I'm telling you this is because I maybe going in circles trying to get mograph to do something that it can't do. I already had a working a solution similar to the one that the last poster posted in his example file which worked ok for my purposes.

One thing I'm running into is that I cant put a cloner into the object slot of another cloner. That would indeed be nice to be able to do. I'm liking Cinema so far though, I've used it on several jobs already. I just can't expect it to do everything another package does. sorry for any hassle I may have caused mf_bookread.gif