Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest HiTekJeff

Is C4d Right For Me - Need Good Advice

Guest HiTekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • Hello,

I have read the C4D company web site and some topics here, but I could use some feedback on helping me decide on a program to integrate into my work flow for sculpting already made Poser/Daz models. Let me take a minute to explain.

First, I am by no means a skilled character designer nor do I have time to do all the work myself. For the work I do, I use Daz/Poser Victoria 4 and Michael 4 figures mostly and the work I will be doing is graphic novels that are fairly detailed and not much of a cartoon look. The programs I am currently using consist of Poser Pro, Vue 7 (for by background scenes I need detail on) and Photoshop CS4 "Extended". What I seek is a program to integrate into my work mostly for editing already built characters like Daz/Poser figures. Specifically, I need to be able to load the figure and do a custom sculpt of the face and/or body for a unique character look. I do NOT want to do it all from scratch which is why I use the detailed figures already made. That being said, I am undecided on what to use for this as I have used and like ZBrush for the free-form sculpting where it loads the figure mesh and you just use putty type knives to push/pull/blend etc. until you get what you want. However, I saw C4D and thought some of the added power like creating indoor buildings rather quickly and some animation later may be worth a look into.

So, should I be looking at C4D right now if all I need to to sculpt already made figures for a custom face/body or would a program like ZBrush be better suited for this? I just don't know enough about Maya, C4D, Modo and ZBrsuh to determine what to buy. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Perhaps you should take a look at mudbox as well. It's easier to use than zbrush, and import stuff into c4d. In c4d you do have paint shop and clothhilde, as well as a good render engine. The main thing though is the learning curve for c4d is a lot faster than any of the other usual suspects.

One thing that's worth considering is a C4D plugin called "Interposer Pro" which allows you to import Poser models diretly into Cinema 4D, clothe them (conform) and pose them using sliders much like poser (all the dials will be there including things like "smile" or "left leg up").

The plugin is really cool, though if I do have a criticism its that it can slow your copy of C4D to a halt if you import too many poser models at once. All poser models import perfectly, however, and are very easy to pose.

Check it out - it's from here - http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/p...rposer_pro.html

All the best,

Adey

Guest HitekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks, I'll be sure to look into the Poser plug-in you mentioned.

Also, the reason I have not considered "Mudbox" is because they do not make a Mac specific version. All of my software is for the Mac Pro and I am shocked they do not have a version for it as it leaves out many people that prefer their Macs for design.

What about "Modo" by Luxology? I don't know anything about any of these programs as I am use to working in Poser Pro, Vue and Photoshop mainly. I don't mind investing in what I need for the long haul if it will do what I want easily and be good in my work flow. That is why I wondered about C4D for sculpting use for already made meshes/figures like Daz/Poser. I need to be able to do a custom face or body sort of like putty using push/pull/smudge etc. and not spend forever doing a custom morph for that figure. I usually work on it some in Poser Pro then import it into something like ZBrush (which I am trying). I just have not seen a video tutorial of doing this in C4D though so I don't know how hard it is or how it works (if it does).

Thanks for the thoughts on this as I am looking into all options out there and just want something that will fit my needs.

Guest HitekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • I just found out there will be a sister site to C4DCafe.com for Modo and was wondering if anyone can tell me more.

Also, I was wondering for those using Modo how you like it compared to say ZBrush for sculpting already made figures, using their pre-built meshes to do custom morphs and such?

The problem I have encountered is I think C4D would be VERY good at a later time for my work flow and most say it is REALLY stable. However, I have read several that say Modo 302 can be quite finicky and does tend to crash more than ZBrush and C4D. No one knows about Modo 4x yet, but quite a few say Modo is a nice program but annoying, especially with HIGH poly counts. That also concerns me because as I mention I am doing graphic novels and may have 5 or more Daz/Poser figures in a scene at a given time. So far, I have not had trouble going up to 11 figures using my work flow now of Poser Pro rendering in Vue Infinate. In fact, Vue can handle LARGE poly counts quite well and was built for such use with their render engine. Now, I know C4D may do a pretty good job with importing Daz/Poser figures, but I don't think I may need all those features to justify the cost at this time. That is why I hope someone from the sister Modo site or such can give some input on this.

Thanks for all the replies.

I just found out there will be a sister site to C4DCafe.com for Modo and was wondering if anyone can tell me more.

That's me. I'll likely be starting a modo version of the cafe later in the year. So far all I have is the domain name www.modoverse.com

Don't forget with C4D it comes in various flavours. The core version is $995 US I recall. This compares to $895 for modo 401 that you can preorder now. Your best bet is to work with the demos and see which one does the job and which one you prefer.

3DKiwi

Of the list of applications you have mentioned, I think C4D is probably the least suitable for "sculpting" an imported mesh. It can do some basic stuff using the brush or magnet tools but can't do real time displacement painting which the others can. C4D also lacks a switchable symmetry mode which the others have and which can be important for human modelling, as you often need to work symmetrically on a non symmetrical mesh. C4D requires that you cut your mesh in half and can only work with full symmetry.

The Interposer Pro plugin in is very good but is intended for posing and animating within C4D without using Poser at all. It is not very happy if you start altering the underlying mesh. You can try it out as the trial version of interposer will work with the demo version of C4D. If you are going to edit the mesh then you might as well just import the OBJ file directly. If you use the free Riptide plugin you can also save the edited mesh back out of the C4D demo as an OBJ file, which is a bit of a plus point.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but Daz themselves use Modo to create the original figures. You can also get a one month trial of Modo, so you try that out as well. Modo has a useful morph feature that amongst other things allows you to revert to the original mesh if you need to. Modo seems to handle high poly counts better than C4D in my experience and the OpenGL is implemented better. It does crash more than C4D though (most 3D programs do) but not as often as Vue 6.

At the moment, Modo is 32 bit only, so is limited to 4Gb of memory (on a 64 bit system). Importantly for you, Modo 401 which is due out shortly will be 64 bit but only for the PC not the Mac, due to problems with Apple's code (the old Carbon/Cocoa thing).

Give them all a good trial run to see which suits you.

If I recall, there's a member tutorial on this site of zbrush to c4d, which you may want to check out. The problems are at the zrush end of things, as it can be hugely complicated making displacement maps. At least I think it is, there's far too much going on with the zbrush interface, and the so called wiki user manual is a it of a mess.

One thing you should consider, is that you may turn out to have a real flair for modeling the human figure. It has to be better to make your own meshes, just in case poser wants a cut of your book sales. Another thought is that face gen program might be worth a look. They come straight into c4d and you can stick some sss and nice hair on them.

Guest HitekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • "At the moment, Modo is 32 bit only, so is limited to 4Gb of memory (on a 64 bit system). Importantly for you, Modo 401 which is due out shortly will be 64 bit but only for the PC not the Mac, due to problems with Apple's code (the old Carbon/Cocoa thing)."

That's what is REALLY annoying to me as a Mac user. In fact, a recent column in 3D World said that Autodesk was going to release Mac versions of some of their popular software, such as Mudbox, because more and more graphic professionals are moving to a Mac only platform. However, that is the good news, the bad is like you mentioned about Modo and it being just 64bit. I mean after all, I won't get it any cheaper yet it will be less functional for me being 32bit only vs the 64bit Windows version they are doing. These companies really need to get some resources behind them and get the work flow better so they don't end up with situations like this. It's really puts you off when they act like it is only an attempt and not a full commitment to the Mac platform. At the price of about $1K and up, all companies should be providing a high level of service or else customers will start to look elsewhere and spend their money there.

I don't think Modo will be less functional in it's 32 bit version. C4D certainly isn't.

It's not really Luxology's fault that Apple messed around with their OS. I understand Adobe had a lot to do with that.

A lot of Mac users are not just using OSX exclusively.

• Topic Author
  • I am doing graphic novels and may have 5 or more Daz/Poser figures in a scene at a given time.

Not to put you off, but animating 5 low poly characters at the same time would be tough in Cinema, trying to animate 5 High poly Poser figures would be painful imo, viewport response would crawl.

Cheers,

Brian

Guest HitekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • "Not to put you off, but animating 5 low poly characters at the same time would be tough in Cinema, trying to animate 5 High poly Poser figures would be painful imo, viewport response would crawl."

Yes, that may be and I will defer to you on that matter as I don't know anything about C4D at this time. However, I have seen animation, especially in games, where high-poly figures are used. But that is different as some of the other characters in the scene, like monsters, are sub-d to offset the workload. Also, you are animating using other tools of the OS and graphics hardware itself (i.e. MS DirecX and such) which is another story. Right now though, I am not worried about animation so that is really no issue for me, I am just working with a lot of static high-poly figures in a scene.

Also, another thought on this, can't C4D use a "RenderCow" or "RenderFarm" type of resource if you really wanted to do a very realistic animated scene with 5-100 characters in it provided you had dedicated render servers working? I'm not sure what C4D calls it as most 3D software packages have different names, but most allow you to setup those "RenderFarms" where you would put like 2-5 dedicated servers on it and networked together on 1 project. Personally, I never thought there was a real limit as long as you had the equipment for it. That would NOT be something I even want to do in the foreseeable future, but I thought it was certainly possible.