Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest HiTekJeff

Is C4d Right For Me - Need Good Advice

Guest HitekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • "I do recall Mudbox being announced for the mac in the last issue of 3d world, not sure when its released though"

Yes, I have not had time to post on this, but I saw it in my issue of 3D World magazine. It said Mudbox would be available in February 2009 and a couple of others like Toxic in March 2009. However, they are not available yet and I even talked to Autodesk about this.

On a side note, if you want to read my feelings on Autodesk customer service (or lack thereof) you can check it out here, provided this link is OK to post:

Not impressed with Autodesk customer service

I always go with my gut on most decisions and can tell what kind of feel a company gives off and let me just say I am uneasy and unimpressed at best. So far, I really like the community C4D has, but alas I think another tool will fit my workflow better for now, like Modo, ZBrush or (if they keep it together) Mudbox. Everyone has been nice here and I have set a C4D bookmark directory with this site in it along with some great links I have been sent.

C4D is 64bit for Mac and works like a dream. So if any of the others try and put the blame on Apple for not having their wares available on the mac in 64bit they're just passing the buck. If MAXON can do it then so can the others and anything else is just excuses.

Cheers

Karl

Well, we're still waiting for Apple to produce a 64 bit version of Quicktime. What's holding that up?

Does that have any relevance to the above? Could be any number of reasons, none of which are necessarily related to other people's efforts to go 64bit. As I said, if MAXON can do it then blaming Apple just won't wash.

Cheers

Karl

So why are MAXON's efforts related to any one elses if Apples aren't?

Because if any company that does the same thing as MAXON uses anything Apple have done as an excuse for not being able to get a 64bit version of their software out you simply have to point to MAXON and ask 'Well, if they can do it why can't you?"

That Apple haven't produced a 64bit version of QT is irrelevant to this discussion. Yes, they should do it, but that they haven't has no baring on this conversation. What we're talking about is people using Apple as an excuse for their own failings. Yes, Apple messed with the code. But it didn't stop the small team at MAXON doing a fine job of going 64bit. And once one of them has done it, the rest have no excuse.

Cheers

Karl

MAXON are pretty clever with how they write the code. I gather something like 90-95% is platform independent. Producing a 64 bit Mac version is easier for them than other developers. Its still takes time though.

I read HitekJeff's piece at Renderosity. Sounds typical of many larger organisations. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

3DKiwi

I agree with Karl, but also feel that Apple are in the enviable position of knowing what's coming - for the Mac platform at least. With a revised Quicktime on the way (quicker h.264 and all that) and, more importantly, Grand Central in Snow Leopard, the Mac platform will fly and they're probably not bothering with 64 bit Quicktime until it's "Grand Central Snow Leopard 64 bit Quicktime".

In the meantime, they'd be foolish to release a 64 bit version for PC (which may already be written) as it would simply diminish the perceived strength of their own platform.

Adey

Guest HitekJeff
  • Topic Author
  • "Because if any company that does the same thing as MAXON uses anything Apple have done as an excuse for not being able to get a 64bit version of their software out you simply have to point to MAXON and ask 'Well, if they can do it why can't you?"

That Apple haven't produced a 64bit version of QT is irrelevant to this discussion. Yes, they should do it, but that they haven't has no baring on this conversation. What we're talking about is people using Apple as an excuse for their own failings. Yes, Apple messed with the code. But it didn't stop the small team at MAXON doing a fine job of going 64bit. And once one of them has done it, the rest have no excuse.

Cheers

Karl "

I fully understand where Kari is coming from and would like to elaborate a little more on this if I may.

First, let me say I am NOT bashing anyone, only pointing out my own "personal feelings" about how I was treated by Autodesk customer service and the impressions they left on me. I know most don't know me around the 3D world, but I majored in computer science and have been a professional tech writer since the late '80s with work that was published in several computer magazines. So, I have seen behind the scenes of a lot of different tech companies over the years and coupled with just good old fashioned common sense as they say I have been right most of the time.

Right now, times are REALLY tough for everyone. The companies that did not over extend, have the cash invested well and can button down to weather the storm for possibly the next 5+ years will continue their success. When you find a company, such as Autodesk or any other, that has such disregard to their customer service and you know within 5 minutes the upper management is disconnected from anyone else there, maybe even in different buildings or another country, then red flares start to go up.

It may not be anything, but usually, when such things happen like in the case of Autodesk service it means some things are being shaken up at the top down. They may have expanded too fast, not have the funding, getting ready to be sold/merged with another company or any number of things to explain such. One telling sign is not just the delay for Mac versions of their software, but the right hand doesn't know about the left hand even existing. This also points to cash flow problems regardless. If you have the funding, you can put together anyone it takes to develop the software with an entire force behind it.

I agree with Kari in that it has virtually zero to do with Apple. Writing code is writing code and if you like I said, it just comes down to the funding and having a core group working full time on the projects. If they really had the sources, Autodesk and others would have Mac and Linux versions of everything they do. Once the core is written and you have the team in place, assuming you have many programmers on the project, it wouldn't be an issue.

Also, the whole Coco/AppleScripting, QuickTime or OS Leopard updates being the cause is rubbish too. Again, it goes back to the core team being there. As soon as the latest "seed" is done for any update, they should be able to look at it and start to work on any patching or re-write necessary in a timely manor. They should know the code VERY well for their programs if they are not outside programmers or hired for a single task/job. That's why I feel Autodesk is someone right now I am uneasy with until I know where they are heading for sure and see a drastic change in their service. At the very least, you can tell how a company is ran from the top down by the other staff there.

Like Kari said, I have seen many good things about C4D, perhaps because they seem to be a smaller, more focused company that understands what made them successful. Their Mac software doesn't have near the issues and they seem to have that core group as I stated in place.

Regards,

Jeff

3DKiwi is spot on i believe, the way MAXON laid foundation for its app, talking from programing side, is simply brilliant, its also interesting to see what hype is Newtek doing over their lately announced Lightwave Core, like its some revolution when almost every thing they pointed out programing wise is identical to how MAXON did it with Cinema... atleast they wont have problems going 64bit heh =)

Nevertheless, from a business point of view, it doesn't really make sense at the moment to plough a heap of resource into recoding for OSX rather than further developing the application, which would give a higher cost benefit. It will be done but what makes it less compelling is the size of the paying market, the ability of Intel Macs to run Windows and the fact that Mac users are less likely to jump ship, as there is nothing much else to jump to. On the other hand, this means that if you are desperate to run a 64 bit app on a Mac that is not available for OSX then you can dual boot. You are no longer totally stumped. I know it it's not a nice neat solution but these things cost money, which today is in short supply.

Maybe that is what's stopping the other guys and the Apple excuse is just a red herring. That's totally understandable. MAXON's split is roughly 50/50 PC, Mac so it does make commercial sense for them. Point still stands though - Apple might have messed with the code and caused some headaches, but that time has long since passed and now it's a lame excuse.

Cheers

Karl