Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest HiTekJeff

Is C4d Right For Me - Need Good Advice

"The greater whole shows Apple shares on Wall Street continues it's steady climb as is evident by the stock prices too."

Eh, yeah, a steady climb... after losing more than half its value over the last year or so. It peaked at over $200 at one point and now is in the 90s, has been just under $80 and is now bobbing around from the mid 80s to mid 90s.

The $4,000 price will be for he whole shooting match. One of the good things about C4D is that you can buy the basic package for under a $1000 and add modules as you need and as your experience grows. Not only does that mean the hit on your pocket is a little easier to take but you also don't end up overwhelmed by a million bells and whistles while you're trying to grasp the basics. And besides, I'm sure that most of the people here at the Cafe who have every module listed in their side bar probably rarely uses most of what they have. I make a living from C4D and note how few modules I have (and I've yet to use MOCCA in a commercial project). There are also some module that you might want to avoid, the obvious one being Dynamics for which you'll be much better served buy the likes of PhyTools and SilverBullet which are both cheaper and better.

Cheers

Karl

Performance from a USB stick is just as good as from the hard drive. It's just the initial load time thats a bit longer. Interestingly, Modo can perform the same trick.

As Karl says, you don't need all the modules at once. My personal must haves are Mograph and Advanced Render although I bought the rest as part of the Studio bundle some time ago and have just updated them as we move along. Usually Maxons charge for an update to a module like Dynamics that hasn't changed but needs to work with a new core is nominal.

Mograph is on my wish list but I don't buy a module unless I have a job that needs it and so far I haven't had a job that I've not been able to do easily without it. Does look like fun, though. And a word about Advanced Render: Don't bother to start with - C4D turns out really nice renders straight out of the box without AR. Most people buy AR by default but it's excessive when you're just stating out. Sure, you won't be able to do things like GI or DOF but you can still turn out fantastic renders without any of that. Besides, from what I've seen, lots of people don't really use stuff like GI or DOF to great advantage - it's just that people believe they need all that stuff when what they really need is to learn to light things properly. And no, before anyone says it, GI is not a short cut to better lighting. It's a different way of lighting which requires just as much setting up as standard lighting if you're to get it right.

Cheers

Karl

• Topic Author
  • ^ I'd agree, mograph has all sorts of uses beyond making clones fly about. The displace deformer and delay effector are another couple of things that can be very useful in non-mograph situations.

Cheers,

Brian