Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vilandra

Need Some Pyrocluster Help

Author of the topic Posted

You're right. It does look better.

It was hard to tell, but in the animation you just posted, once the flame exits the nozzle and turns into smoke, does the smoke keep moving in a downward motion? Or does it come to a stop? Once the flame turns to smoke, it has to slow down and eventually stop for what I want.

mine slows down but does not stop, it would be a case of either increasing the friction or perhaps having the emitter speed at zero and actually move the rocket and emiter. in my scene the emitter and rocket are stationary.

perhaps a combination of the 2, a moving emitter/rocket with the parts set to emit at high speed but the slowed considerabley by a high friction setting

or of course do it with tp

I used a friction preset in order to slow the particles down once they are a certain distance from the rocket.

Morph

I took Pauls scene and merge it in with mine and rescaled the emitter down to fit my boosters, changed a few settings, and then rendered. It was rather slow, but showed that I needed to add some lights to illuminate the sides and back of the smoke.

I added a few spots and tried again.... but this time my machine crashed. Now ive booted up in XP64 and tried to render again with fewer lights. Its now taking about 5 minutes for one frame on my 8-core 4.0Ghz machine.

I think im going to go back and rescale my shuttle to match Pauls emitter and try it again at that scale with those exact settings.

The crashing seems to be related to the huge amounts of volume shadow mapping. When theres no lights other than the sun, theres no problems.

On a side note, it would be nice to have FumeFX type plugin for C4D.

soft shadow calculation time is very dependent on the pyrocluster particle size

also don't forget to optimise your vol shader settings

I had taken the size down quite a bit, and had about 12 lights in the scene. I'll see how your scene file works untouched.

in my scene there are 4 lights for the pyro, the other lights are for the rocket and are set to ignore the pyro

Thats weird that yours was 1 min a frame, and this render here took 8 min 35 seconds. No AA, and everything was left alone from your scene file.

Now when im rendering your scene file, the time is 9 seconds a frame. Odd....

Fab pyro setup Paul.

Morph

Oh man.... I feel like a real moron! :) I had GI on (sky sampler), and apparently, that is really increasing the render times.

Is there a way to exclude the sky sampler from illuminating the pyrocluster?

I like the way the sky sampler looks on my shuttle. I guess for now, ill have to stick with regular lights.

Its rendering really fast now. Only 5 secs a frame.