Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Sycosplat

Skin Realism

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks a bunch!

I'll check it out.

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • Sorry for the double-post.

The advice I was given led to some definite improvements.

I'm still tweaking the SSS settings to try and find that sweet spot, and the textures might need more work.

Is there anything else I can try? Cause I'm pretty much stuck, not really knowing where to turn to achieve realism.

Edit: A clean UV was indeed invaluable.

good progress! I think alot of what makes things look real is in your sculpting or modelling and not just textures and lighting check out guys like this http://www.kolbyjukes.com/?page_id=41 and you realise that even on the flat brown shaded model there is alot of realism in the muslce structure and skin folds and facial expression.

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • SilverTalon: You're absolutely right. The reason I took this model from Zbrush was because I saw someone use that exact same model and created a incredibly realistic skin render with the Misss fast skin shader. Though I'm having an enormous difficulty recreating it.

I'm nearing giving up again, because it's starting to feel impossible.

:P

Here is my latest attempt, focussing more on subtlety.

I think it's slightly better in a way, but still miles and miles away from perfect.

Guest MilesBaskett
  • Topic Author
  • You could paint a specular map. There is varied oily-ness on the skin, for example the forehead and nose are highly specular where the chin and neck are are not so much. You can vary it by painting a black, grey, and white map. Black will have no specular(dry elbows,ect) and white will be full specular. You can further add the map into a fusion shader and use the mask channel to further control the highlights with a fresnel shader or even AO. You can also add color to the spec map for more realistic looks as well.

The light set-up itself will influence the look alot too.

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks, MilesBaskett.

Just a quick question: In which channel does the spec map/fusion shader go?

Guest MilesBaskett
  • Topic Author
  • The specular color channel.

Guest FR3SH
  • Topic Author
  • No specular map goes to the diffusion chanel!!

No specular map goes to the diffusion chanel!!

that depends on what you want but in most rendering engines you would have a specular colour map option and a specular map option and diffusion channel doesnt exist(dont know why c4d has it)

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • Argh!

Thanks a million for the comments and help, guys.

But I'm stopping right here. I've tweaked and rendered myself into a depression, with result not nearly resembling anything that can be called realistic.

Guest MilesBaskett
  • Topic Author
  • Actually the diffusion channel is better for controlling how much(and where) light diffuses on the object when making a skin shader. The more oily parts will diffuse more light, granted, however a specular map is too sharp of a contrast alot and can make the GI perform in some very unrealistic ways. The map you use in the diffuse channel should be more soft and of less contrast. If the specular has any 100% black, those areas basicly stop bouncing light in those areas where the white areas almost mirror the light off. You need a color,diffuse,specular(with color information), and bump/normal maps at a minimum if you want to have the most control of the skin and how it behaves under any lighting set-up.

I agree with scott on the color too, if the skin is colored in the way he describes, and has the redish hues added in(through shaders), the shader and light interaction is what makes the model look more real compared to ones that use overly red/pinkish texturing. You should be able to desaturate the skin texture of its red hues, and then have it added into the model properly by shining a light source on it. Also don't forget, you can use SSS,chanlum,Lumas,ect in the mask channel of the Fusion shader so the light actually drives how the other shaders or even texture maps interact with one another.