Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Sycosplat

Skin Realism

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks a bunch for the advice, guys.

I really appreciate it.

Though still far from perfect skin, I think there is a definite improvement.

Edit: Added slight SSS improvement.

You can get the basic skin material pretty realistic just using procedural textures without any image maps. You can then use image maps to vary the coloration or speculars later. Here is a good tutorial on making a skin material and also how to overcome C4Ds tricky SSS shader:

http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/skin.html

As mentioned before, skin isn't pink. It gets it's reddish colour from blood but most of the skin colour comes from melanin.

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • I have seen that tutorial before. But I find it nowhere near realistic whatsoever.

Thanks anyway.

The color map is desaturated/nearly grey.

The color comes from the SSS alone it seems, or perhaps it was the light. If I take out the color map, it looks pretty much the same.

With this picture, I toned down on the red hues in the absorption filter. Overly red hues combined with the grey skin color seemed to create the pink skin tone.

Guest Sycosplat
  • Topic Author
  • Yes, I'm having problems with the bumbmap, which was made with zbrush and applied through a UV. Unfortunately, it seems that scale around the nose area among others.

I'm not sure how I can fix it without having to remake everything.

My progress so far based off of comments.

You should drop a checkerboard texture on top of it to see what happens. Could be a UV problem :)

Guest Moocat
  • Topic Author
  • dunno if anyone mentioned this, but i think it would be good if you smoothed out the bump map for the inner ear and nose area. that's a very oily/waxy area and the bump map makes it look kinda more like a sculpture than skin in that spot. Also, have you messed with SSS at all? I have been experimenting with it a lot lately, thanks to an excellent tutorial i found. if i was on my desktop machine i'd link it to you, but i only brought my laptop to visit my family for the weekend. the skin also looks a tad dry in general, perhaps mess about with the specularity! i'm terrible at textures but hopefully these tips helped a bit.