Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fastbee

Modo 401 Like C4d?

• Topic Author
  • I am trying to wrap my head around what tools in C4D are like the ones in modo 401 preview

Modo 401 link

Modo ____________________C4D

Dispursion ---------------------------Fresnel?

Blurry Refraction ------------ ----- Blur under Transparency?

Shadow Catcher ----------------------Sky?

Clearcoat -------------------------------??????

Photographic Tone Mapper ----- Render Settings > Options?

Finally, is it just me or is does modos rendering seem faster, able to handle more geometry without filling the RAM, and have much better looking subsurface scattering?

Lights in C4D have a Shadow Caster option which I assume is the same thing. Light linking they have only just got in 401 has been in C4D for ages.

Blurry Refraction - Blurry under Reflection more likely

Clearcoat - pass. I'm sure the effect can be duplicated in C4D. Maybe using a layer shader and have a top layer with the properties of glass.

Photographic Tone Mapper - pass.

modo's preview rendering is faster than C4D's. modo's sub surface scattering is miles better than C4D's. I'll give you that.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Thank you 3DKiwi. That does make sense.

Guest gudbjargarson

I have also been following Modo 401 preview with great interest. I switched to C4D few weeks ago from Maya and I'm very happy with that change. I'm starting to think that I should take a very close look at modo when it comes to 401. 3DKiwi, do you know what strenghts C4D has over Modo 401?

Regards,

Johann

3DKiwi, do you know what strenghts C4D has over Modo 401?

Scene management with Object Manager superior than modo's item list, XPresso visual expressions, Character animation, Particles, Timeline with Non Linear Animation, Motion Graphics (MoGraph), Non Photo Realistic Rendering (Sketch and Toon), Materials easier to work with, ability to work with other render engine e.g. V-Ray, painting superior with BodyPaint. No doubt there is more. Plus C4D doesn't crash nearly as often as modo does.

3DKiwi

Guest gudbjargarson

Thank you 3DKiwi. That cleared up a lot of things for me and makes me more confident in choosing C4D (which is btw. fantastic).

Luxology have said that 401 is not a character animation release, but it will be in all but name. It is already possible to do character animation in 302 using vertex maps. Here is a thread from the Modo forums explaining how to do this

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=34082

All that was missing in 302 was IK and constraints. These have been added in 401 per the last reveal. Not sure what more is needed, although I don't do CA so it might not be as simple as that. Maybe they will make it simpler for non-experts.

A big plus point in Modo are the modelling tools, particularly for Sub-D - have a look at some of the videos showing Seneca Menard modelling at incredible speed (mind you he is one of the lead artists for ID software). C4D does lag behind in this department.

As far as renderers go, I am finding the Luxology renderer tends to get better results than AR3 and is a lot faster once you understand the shader tree and the GI options. I don't think refractive blur is the same thing as reflection blur.

The main things going for C4D for me are XPresso, MoGraph and Hair. MoGraph in particular is unsurpassed by any other application. MAXON's pricing structure is a bit of a drawback though.

This is a C4D forum though, so if you are interested in Modo, try the demo version and look at their site. Most people use more than one application in their pipeline, so you don't have to exclude applications from consideration just because you have another. Collada and FBX allow you to transfer stuff pretty easily nowadays so if you can afford it, get the best of both worlds (3DKiwi has and so do I).

Yup I agree. Want to have a bash with modo. Download the demo and have a go.

While CA may be possible in modo 401 especially robot type ones where no weighting is required I think CA in C4D is way easier and much more advanced. C4D's Object Manager scene management is also far superior.

3DKiwi

For all those wishing to compare modo to C4D, this thread basically summarizes all that you need to know between the two applications Like 3DKiwi and Steve, I am also a modo 302 user (who just pre-purchased the 401 upgrade). modo's modeling tool set is pretty extreme to say the least and the new modeling tools in 401 are once again going to put more power out there. C4D has a huge amount of work ahead of them if they wish to stay competitive in this area....but's that's what happens when you pretty much ignore a major area of an application in the last two major releases.

There is one major strength of modo that in some respects is a weakness as well: that is the over-reliance on keyboard short-cuts. Again, if you really know the program, then you can literally fly in your modeling as the whole user-interface is really tuned to optimization and speed. The downside of that is that you can also really mess things up just as fast if you are learning the program and not all that experienced with the short cuts. I know that people are looking to modo to make up for C4D short-comings in the modeling area, but be warned that mentally switching between interfaces can lead to trouble in modo if you are not 100% aware of what you are doing and still thinking of C4D in terms of keyboard short-cuts. Best to find one set of short-cuts you like best and configure both programs to operate the same way - but as modo is well ahead of C4D in that respect, chances are you will be getting C4D's shortcuts to match modo's as best as possible.

3DKiwi gave a really fair and balanced comparison of each programs strengths and weakeness, but allow me to add a few more...and this time comparing MAXON to Luxology rather than C4D to modo:

Luxology seems to be on a real development push that I would view to be slightly faster than C4D's. This is to be expected as modo is still a fledging application being developed by an experienced development team (having started LW). But the new feature list in 401 is still pretty impressive: a ton of new rendering features, hair, an uber-instancer on par with Vue's eco-sytems, better animation controls, pre-sets, and of course a whole new set of modeling tools. Have we ever had this much crammed into a C4D release? If so, did MAXON only charge $295 USD to upgrade? MAXON charged $495 and that was just for the Hair module!

Luxology also is pretty open with what they are putting in 401! They have been previewing it for months (check here) and updating it as new features get added! MAXON won't even announce that they are even working on the next release (is it 11.5? 12? 11.2?) let alone publish a whole web-site on its features.

Luxology has a ton of ready-made training video's available to their user community - for free. MAXON charges for Cineversity. Now MAXON does have a a pod-cast site set-up with 26 videos, but modo has this as well (close to 70 podcosts) in addition to modo-TV which right now features close to 140 training videos - again, all for free.

Personally, I think modo is better advertised in the 3D community than is C4D. I know that has been a sore point in past years for us C4D faithful, but I think Luxology does a much better job of capturing "mind-share" than MAXON ever could (IMHO). I guess that is to be expected when you have a good product backed by a really aggressive development schedule, a pretty good set of free training materials that gets updated on a regular basis, and are pretty open about your next release.

Aside from the strengths and weaknesses of either application, Luxology is just sooo much smarter about how they manage their product in the market place (and I haven't even talked about pricing - you can come to your own conclusions about value as you think about that $295 upgrade price for 401). MAXON could really learn a great deal from Luxology as they are being out-classed at every turn in this respect.

It's kind of like watching Google take on Microsoft.

3D-Pangel

Nicely spoken..

Peace,

Rich_Art. wink.gif

Guest soccerrprp

quick clarification here...

so, MODO relies heavily on short-cuts, does this mean that there isn't an UI option for these other functions/tools? it's either you know the short-cut for something or "forget about it?" if so, who's counter-intuitive idea was that?! Not everyone wants, nor enjoys using short-cuts all the time...

MAXON, please improve your modeling/sculpting tools and features!

MODO is looking more and more appealing....

Whoa! I like the modeling tools. I'm just starting to watch the feature videos, but I'm impressed. The edge slide is awesome with the profile options...