Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhpdigital

Uv Problem

Guest MilesBaskett

Your texture is "straight" while your UV's are not, I take that you did not use cylindrical mapping to unwrap the side of the can? The UV's basicly don't match the physical model, which they should as much as possible, thats why its warped on the can. Start in interactive mapping, select the can side and map it cylindricaly. then match the texture over the UVs.

Infact, look at the pic you posted showing the UV's, see how they are not strait lines, thats the problem. They need to be arranged in a perfect grid to not warp the texture on your model.

Guest MilesBaskett

Ah, I thought that it was the side of the can...you may need to try projection painting to get it properly. Or maybe try relaxing the UVs a bit more. The object itself is a tough shape really(a plastic shrink wrap). I'm not so sure if the way its mapped is helping either. Maybe seperate the top, middle, and bottom uvs. Or different cuts for the LSCM unwrapping.

• Topic Author
  • Hi. Thanks but I'm still not getting any better clean results. It's to be rendered at 3000px so you see all of the pulling. I've attached the model of the plastic wrap with my UV as good as I can get it, but if anybody can improve things and stop the stretching I will be eternally thankful.

The graphic has to blend front and top so I used LSCM on this uv. I also tried interactive mapping with cylindrical mapping which was good on the front and top but not on the edges.

Thanks in advance. :)

That's the best I could do in 45 minutes.

You will get a lot of distortion there where the sides meet the top (chech using the texture displacement on X to see it).

The sides probably have a small distortion.

I hope it helps you.

--Still trying to set up a cube properly... and failing--

I modified slightly the UV Mapping to get some less extreme distortion on the top edges, though it is sitll there.

--Still trying to set up a cube properly... and failing--

Guest MilesBaskett

Looks great...I wonder why they don't sell six packs of pop in the states anymore.