Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

Spline Dynamics + Gravity

• Topic Author
  • first off I'd like to thank 3DKiwi for his fantastic spline dynamics tutorial, I've spent 2 days looking for exactly that and i didn't dare hope for such a good tutorial. I'm actually quite shocked at how simple this stuff is now having never tried any dynamics stuff before.

my problem should be pretty self explanatory from the project file here, I've got a sphere on the end of a spline being pulled towards a moving gravity object, but I want it to be constrained to the length of the spline rather than keep stretching it.

the idea is to have hundreds of these all attracted to the same object, so ideally i'd like to know how to have the splines colliding with each other too. also I was planning to do this with chains but i'd already given up on that assuming it would be too complicated, but i've noticed a few people here mentioning some kind of chain generating plugin or script, would that be relatively simple to use in this project? I'm pretty inexperienced with C4D, but it's fun to learn by jumping in at the deep end sometimes you know?

apologies if this has been covered before, i had a look but i couldn't see any other threads about the same problem.

splineys.c4d

Cool scene Aneririn. welcome to the forums. and welcome to c4d :)

I've had similar problems before with this, and although I can't offer a solution- I can say it's sure annoying there isn't a chicklet to "maintain the original length" :(

Guest dataflow

if you lower the "Influence" on the Splines "Constraint" tag to about 5% then the spline shouldnt stretch when the "Sphere" moves to far away

• Topic Author
  • thanks, that did the trick except it also causes a new problem:

once the sphere gets caught by the gravity it will stay stuck to it and therefore the spline will follow it no matter how far away it is. I wanted it to drop to the ground when the gravity is out of range.

with this method, there's no need to use the gravity, I might as well just move the sphere by itself.

surely there's some way to just stop the sphere moving more than 1000 points from its starting location?

• Topic Author
  • ok if anyone's interested here is my finished scene. I did it the same way as above, without using gravity, just spline constraints. it's not quite the effect i was after but it looks ok i think.

if anyone has any tips on speeding up the rendering i'd be greatful. I don't know if it's jsut my imagination, but every frame seems to be taking a little longer than the previous one

splines_ffs.c4d.zip

• Topic Author
  • here is a final render of the scene, not really what i originally intended but i think it's pretty cool anyway. i'm still trying to think of a way to do it with gravity instead of just spline constraints.