Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest SmooBG

F-curve Editor Is Pretty Worthless!

Question

Guest SmooBG
  • Inquirer
  • I want to use the F-curve editor the same way I use the Maya Graph Editor:

I want to automoaticaly see the curve of the selected object. When I select an object in the modeling window, I have to right click and select 'show f-curve'. Really cumbersome.

When I select a key frame in the editor, Nothing tells me whether it's the Position, Scale, or Rotation keyframe. Worthless!

'Link view to Object Manager' does nothing.

All of these things are a snap in the Maya Graph Editor. There has to be a way to make the F-curve editor more useful.

Sorry for the rant. Frustrated...

Thanks,

Hey,

Hopefully someone familiar with Maya (and preferable an animator) can help you here. I don't have the same problems (But I'm also using v.11 and can't remember what changes came with that).

If you are in the curves editor (see attached) it will automatically bring up the selected objects curves, though you may have to press 'H' to frame them.

I agree about not telling you what track it is, though they are colour coded.

Link view to object manager works fine for me (though I don't tend to use it). When an object is selected in the object manager it brings up the corresponding object in the animation manager

Guest dcbeatty
  • Inquirer
  • Have you tried in the animation view going to the View menu in the timeline and selecting "link view to object manager"? You have to be in the automatic mode for this to work.

You'll have to click once on the object on the left of the timeline after making this selection, but after that you can click directly on different objects in the "modeling window" and the f-curves or key frames should appear for each selected object in the timeline.

Guest SmooBG
  • Inquirer
  • dcbeatty,

that sounds like what I want, but I must have a bug or something b/c when I select 'link view to object manager', the left side of my timeline goes blank. I'm using R10.506. I just installed it recently, so I don't know what's up with it.

I'm still miffed that you can't identify which keyframe is selected when you select a keyframe in the f-curve editor. Nowhere does it tell you if your keyframe is for rotation xyz or rotation hpb. That's ridiculous!

• Inquirer
  • You need to have Automatic Mode switched on as well as Link View to OM for it to work the way you want. Then select an object in the OM and it will show up in the timeline. You still have to unfold the curve channels the first time you open it though.

Not sure why you can't see what parameter the curve relates to, it should be right there to the left of the timeline, like it is in the Maya curves editor.

They are also colored to match the different axis although you can switch this off.

I'd agree though that the F-Curve editor in Maya is a lot better than the one in Cinema, there was a topic here recently that discussed some of these differences you might find useful.

Please consider contacting MAXON support and request some of the features you miss from Maya, the more people do this, the more likely they are to do something about it.

Cheers,

Brian

Guest SmooBG
  • Inquirer
  • Cool! The Automatic Mode switched on as well as Link View to OM worked, I just didn't know what the magic combination was to make that work. Still not having any success with the keyframe idetification thing. If I select a single keyframe in the F-curve editor, I can't tell which keyframe I have selected. Maybe there are a series of settings I need to turn on to see this.

Thanks y'all.

Is this what you're looking for?

Mark

Guest SmooBG
  • Inquirer
  • See the attached pic.

Again, maybe there is a magic combination of view options that I haven't stumbled across yet, but right now, if I have 9 curves in my editor, and I click on one keyframe, there is no way to identify which keyframe I have selected (is it the 'P rotation' keyframe or the 'Y position' keyframe?). The corresponding 'channel' on the left side should be highlighted whenever I select a keyframe.

post-61460-1244720256_thumb.jpg

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood - when you said you couldn't tell which keyframe you had selected I didn't realise that you meant channel as well. You're right, there should be some indication but I don't think there is. There ought to be either an extra flag/highlight in the channel list, or something in the Attributes pane for the key, or both.

Mark

Well I can see some merit in having the selected channel highlighted or named in the AM when you select a key.

Note however that the f-curves are colour coded to match specific axes. e.g. a key on a red position curve is the X axis. An alternative way is to first select the channel in the left hand column and then the key. It's then obvious which key corresponds to which axis.

3DKiwi

• Inquirer
  • An alternative way is to first select the channel in the left hand column and then the key.

This makes sense to me as it would be the way I'd always work anyway, whether in Cinema or Maya. When doing a cleanup pass on some animation I tend to work on an individual channel at a time and polish each one before moving on to the next one. Not the only way to do it of course, but I think you can get lost in F-Curves if you don't have some kind of system to the way you polish animation curves.

Cheers,

Brian