Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest SmooBG

F-curve Editor Is Pretty Worthless!

Author of the topic Posted

An alternative way is to first select the channel in the left hand column and then the key.

This makes sense to me as it would be the way I'd always work anyway, whether in Cinema or Maya. When doing a cleanup pass on some animation I tend to work on an individual channel at a time and polish each one before moving on to the next one. Not the only way to do it of course, but I think you can get lost in F-Curves if you don't have some kind of system to the way you polish animation curves.

Cheers,

Brian

Well I can see some merit in having the selected channel highlighted or named in the AM when you select a key.

Note however that the f-curves are colour coded to match specific axes. e.g. a key on a red position curve is the X axis. An alternative way is to first select the channel in the left hand column and then the key. It's then obvious which key corresponds to which axis.

3DKiwi

Umm, if you want to edit the X position curves of a bunch of objects, they are all colour-coded the same colour...

How does selecting work if you want to show say 5 channel curves out of a total of 20 for a particular object or set of objects so that you can see their relationship, and then edit one of curves? - maybe I'm missing something, but if I select one track in the channel list, it is automatically soloed... the others disappear from the graph. Is there a way to stop this happening?

Mark

Guest SmooBG

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='Fri 12 Jun 2009 01:13am' post='353725

Note however that the f-curves are colour coded to match specific axes. e.g. a key on a red position curve is the X axis. An alternative way is to first select the channel in the left hand column and then the key. It's then obvious which key corresponds to which axis.

3DKiwi

Suggest that you fill in a suggestion form on MAXON's site.

I can't see why you're you're having so much trouble. Just a matter of selecting the type of tracks that you want to work with in the left hand column as per the image. The cube has animation for position, rotation and scale. By clicking on Position I only see position tracks. I don't recall ever needing to want to have everything visible at once.

3DKiwi

Guest SmooBG

That's cool, I'm just stuck on trying to do things that one way I described above. Your method works too, it's just a different way from how I was wanting to do it, but it works, so that's how I'll do it.

Thanks everyone for your input, I learned a lot from this...

I'm a bit surprised. Is this kind of situation rare?

Mark

How would you have things displayed differently then?

3DKiwi

Well, select one of those keys and there's no way of telling which of the three objects the f-curve belongs to, so the only way to find out is to do something with the knot and see what reacts in the viewport... bit clumsy, no?

Perhaps the channel name highlighting could change colour (similarly to the way you can already get the curves to pre-highlight), or if there was a tell-tale marker column, or if the Attributes Manager named the individual channel once a knot was selected. Personally, I'd go for an extension to the curve pre-highlighting to include the channel label plus the label appearing in the AM.

Hopefully someone is going to come along and tell me this is already an option... I've only recently started trying to get to grips with animating in Cinema, so there's a lot of learning ahead of me.

Mark

It's not an option.

No there is no way of telling which object a key belongs to if you have multiple tracks selected.

3DKiwi