Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest customone

Using Veneer Wood Patterns

Guest Rem
  • Topic Author
  • One feature of C4d that you may find particularly useful would be the texture axis tool. If you build the geometry of the pattern you want (most likely as children of array objects) you can apply textures derived from your actual veneers (decent digital camera/tripod/Photoshop) and experiment with the layout of your cuts in real time.

Here’s a relatively uninspired solid wood compass inlay (the customer’s always right). It’s the type of thing the CNC eats for breakfast.

Guest customone
  • Topic Author
  • Outstanding depiction on that staircase. The drop arm volute and newel are stunning. the more I look at the rendering its easy to see that you have an good eye for detail. Most people would not fart around with the herringbone brick pattern inside the fireplace.

the compass is exceptional as well. i like the way you manipulated the wood grain. do you feel that c4d as a modeling software has more detail capabilities? if you had to combine a modeling software and a rendering software what would you pick. money being no option. is your work done on a pc or mac? i'm a mac and will probably never change.

thanks for the insight and inspiration.

Guest Rem
  • Topic Author
  • Cinema 4d has all the geometric capability of the major CAD programs (which isn’t saying all that much) plus the native rendering power you’ve seen. Generally speaking, the 3d software manufacturers keep up with each other so I think your choice can be made based on UI and compatibility with your existing software and drafting procedures. Cinema 4d’s interface is especially intuitive and adaptable. For simple 2d drafting it’s a bit cumbersome, though. That’s when I use AutoCAD in tandem, adding elements whenever needed as 3ds imports.

I’m PC-based. For a Mac studio I see that Cobalt supports .dwg and .dxf, which is good for ‘playing with others’. If it will export .3ds files you can have a pretty seamless integration with C4d. C4d handles .obj imports pretty well, too. If you can run them side by side and swap files back and forth, I think you’re good to go. Experiment a bit with import/export. Outside of 2d drafting/dimensioning, C4d’s all you need. Wait till you see how easy it is to switch materials on the fly. Check out Sketch and Toon for different presentation options.

Thanks for the kind comments! My mind boggles at the 'money's no option' option.

Guest Rem
  • Topic Author
  • PS. AutoCAD is no slouch! I modeled the wrought iron balusters entirely in ACAD. When it came time to bend a few to a specific radius, C4d handled it nicely.

Guest customone
  • Topic Author
  • yeah... everybody i know has Autocad. one problem though. OSX operating system. i'm sure i could upgrade mine to a dual core or install virtual pc on it but my "Hal 9000" would not appreciate it.

I am entertaining buying a new Mac with Intel just for 3d and Cad software. i'm open for all suggestions.

a little humor.

http://www.palantir.net/2001/tma1/wav/foolprf.wav

Guest Rem
  • Topic Author
  • How about picking up a used PC? A second machine can be pretty handy. When I'm busy I work with 3 computers and 4 screens. It also spreads out the CPU load when running multiple apps or long renders, etc.

Love the wood veneer textures!!! Keep em' coming, please:) We're the type of people you see taking random pictures of stuff, like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man... only difference being we don't have to drop everything when Wopner comes on:).

I mean, do you have any idea how hard it is to get into peoples houses to get pictures of this kind of stuff!!! It's especially hard when it's late at night and you're running from a disgruntled homeowner with a shotgun... low light, camera shake, blood on the lens... doesn't make for good texture photos;)

thanks again,

kvb

Guest customone
  • Topic Author
  • no problem i'll have more this week . i should try to do four or five at a time instead of single photo's . any particular wood in mind? ash to zebra is available.

try dressing up like the cable guy when dealing with home owners, they can't live without there tv's