Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest staubstudio

Shortcut To Open C4d In 64bit Mode On Mac Os X

Guest staubstudio
  • Topic Author
  • Ok, for some reasons (good ones), we have to use c4d both in 32bit and 64bit modes all the time (we usually work in 32bit, and do final renders in 64bit. Please don't tell me we don't really need to render with the 64bit mode, we do. And don't tell me either that we could simply work in 64bit all the time, we can't.)

Now, it's a bit of a hassle to change from 32 to 64 bit the usual way (get to the cinema4d.app in the finder, do a getinfo and check or uncheck the damn 32bit checkbox) all the time.... so I'd really like to be able to start c4d using 2 different shortcuts in the dock... one would fire a 32bit c4d, the other one a 64bit one.

Anyone has any thoughts about this ?

Any help appreciated. :)

Have a nice day folks.

J.

How about making another shortcut, rename it cinema 32 and have it startup in 32bit mode?

Do the same for the 64 bit mode, park em in your dock and your done.

Please keep in mind that you can have difficulties updating when you manually do that (can't find file name), for netrender for instance. But as you do the auto update it works fine.

Hmm....after loading R10 and R11, there were actually four executables in my MAXON folder:

Cinema 4D Release 10

Cinema 4D Release 10 64 Bit

Cinema 4D Release 11

Cinema 4D Release 11 64 Bit

So technically, I could have 4 shortcuts in my dock. I will admit that if it was not for the plugins, and how some are R10 and/or 64 bit specific (like Turbulence), I wouldn't need the four shortcuts and would only work in the 64 bit mode.

Each shortcut works, so I am not sure why this would be such a problem to create. I also don't understand the need to check or uncheck and boxes in the cinema4D.app properties. Is this specific to a Mac?

3D-Pangel

Just leave the info pane open on your desktop.

Pangel: On the Mac you just have one app which can open in either 32bit or 64bit.

Cheers

Karl

It might be applescriptable

regards

andy

Guest staubstudio
  • Topic Author
  • Just leave the info pane open on your desktop.

Yeah...that's what I do for now... but still, it isn't the best solution... any time I reboot, I do have to get to that info pane again... I might sound silly, but time is so freakin' valuable around here that I like to cut on these operations...

Applescript might be the way to go. I tried to build something with the automator...but this thing really s*cks.

Maybe I could launch C4D with the terminal, with some kind of parameter that would toggle the 64bit version on or off.... but then again, I just can't find documentation about such a parameter...

Still looking for help...

J.

"so I'd really like to be able to start c4d using 2 different shortcuts in the dock... one would fire a 32bit c4d, the other one a 64bit one."

Did you read my post?

Simplest way I can see is:

C4D Dock icon > Show in Finder > Command+I > Click button > Relaunch from Dock. Done in seconds!

Couple of mouse clicks and a keystroke, hardly worth the effort and time taken to figure a toggler. :)

You can even use the launch time to close the Info pane.

Cheers, Alan.

Yeah...that's what I do for now... but still, it isn't the best solution... any time I reboot, I do have to get to that info pane again...

Then leave an alias of C4D on your desktop to give you quick access to the info pane on reboot. Then just leave the pane open as suggested. Seriously, how squashed for time can you be? And how often do you switch (an why)? And do you reboot that often? Other than or software installation I can't remember the last time I did a reboot.

Cheers

Karl

This should work. Not sure but I think macs have desktops, if so have a shortcut for 64bit and 32bit on the desktop.

post-60231-1248366890_thumb.jpg

I totally understand switching to 64bit for renders, you need the extra ram for renders, but why can't you use 64bit for the rest of the time?

Guest staubstudio
  • Topic Author
  • @doubledope : Yeah... I did read your post, but that's not how it works on Mac. The only way to use the 64bit is to popup the getinfo dialog, and uncheck the "32 bit mode" checkbox. I can't do that with a simple shortcut...

Seriously, how squashed for time can you be? And how often do you switch (an why)? And do you reboot that often? Other than or software installation I can't remember the last time I did a reboot.

We can't work in 64bit mode because there's an issue between c4d an our SAN storage... So we work in 32 bit, and render in 64bit. And we tend to ask a lot (I mean.... A LOT) of our workstations... so we do need to reboot pretty often.

I totally understand switching to 64bit for renders, you need the extra ram for renders, but why can't you use 64bit for the rest of the time?

Like I said above, there's an issue with our SAN storage in c4d, which makes it unusable in 64bit mode. So we work in 32bit, set everything up (render stettings, etc.), save, quit, launch c4d in 64bit, open the scene and hit render.

That answered... I think I've found a way. I duped my Cinema 4D.app file in the same folder and renamed in Cinema 4D 64.app. The 64 one has the "Run in 32bit mode" uncheck... Looks like it work... but I'm thinking tis might lead to problems some day... (I'm not sure how macos will deal with this... I guess everything should be ok...)

Anyway...thanks everyone for your ideas... Hope this will work, and that someone else might find this useful.

Have a nice day

J.

... we tend to ask a lot (I mean.... A LOT) of our workstations... so we do need to reboot pretty often.

I ask a lot of my workstations too. Most of them run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at full tilt, many of them performing multiple tasks concurrently. Also, a lot of the jobs I do are just too big to work them in 32bit. I find OS X completely bullet proof, I never have to restart.

The SAN/C4D thing must be a real pain. If time is as crunched as you say and you use C4D constantly wouldn't it make more sense to get that punch up sorted out?

Cheers

Karl