Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest shawnfoster

Creating Plugins Question

Guest shawnfoster
  • Topic Author
  • Hey everyone,

Is it possible to create a plugin for C4D using Java, or do you have to use C++ or COFFEE?

~Shawn

If C++ can do it, then java probably can too :) It's not the usual way to go but I think it can definitely be done

• Topic Author
  • Just guessing really, but I think the main issues you'd run into would be finding a compiler and the lack of a SDK for Java. If you want an alternative to Coffee or C++ I'd guess that the next best thing would be Python as at least there's support for that now in Cinema via a plugin.

cheers,

Brian

Guest shawnfoster
  • Topic Author
  • probably just stick with C++ .. I'm just more familiar with Java.. lol but oh well . I want to make some plugins so I'll bite the bullet.

thanks guys,

~shawn

anything we should particulary look forward to? =)

Guest shawnfoster
  • Topic Author
  • Been trying to work out a TRUE symmetry tool.. That's one I'd like to do.

~Shawn

so you gonna solve this with a tag?

good idea btw =)

Guest shawnfoster
  • Topic Author
  • I have a different idea.. I'd like to do it without a tag. Just a tool that when activated accomplishes a true symmetry result.

~Shawn

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • i wish i could learn programming.

but i dont like reading book.

i dont mind doing the work its just the reading to learn it that i hate.

anyone know any video tut on c++ or c.o.f.f.e.e?

I think a video tutorial on C++ would be a very long video, although Microsoft have some intros (see below). I've not watched them so I don't know if they concentrate on the Visual Studio environment or the actual coding. There are some good written tutorials here as well - I've used some of these.

If you want to learn it, the best thing is to download Visual Studio Express for C++ (it's free) from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/default.aspx

There are some videos available from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/vstudio/default.aspx

I use C#, which follows a more Pascal like syntax and structure, but I don't think you can use this for plug ins. The .NET framework makes Windows programming a breeze. I believe MS also have a framework for OSX so you write for the Mac as well, subject to the target machine having the correct run time compiler installed.

Writing plug-ins is harder than writing stand alone .NET Windows apps as you can't use .NET and you need to understand the APIs that the SDK provides plus the specific compiler that is used.

I bought Visual C++ do make a plugin for trueSpace. Talk about a complex interface!! Blender was easy compared to the Visual C++ net interface. The biggest problem I had wasn't with Visual C++ as there's a few good books on learning it but understanding how to use the SDK. Fortunately for me I was on the tS Beta testing team and just kept pestering programmers and coding gurus until I was able to do what I wanted to do.

I much preferred scripting with Python as it was pretty straight forward to do. If I had more time I would get into the Python plugin for C4D.

3DKiwi

p.s. If anyone wants to see what I used to do before doing 3D then check out a couple of Solitaire card games I programmed with Delphi 2 (Basically visual Pascal) about 10-11 years ago here in our downloads section (PC only)

Guest shawnfoster
  • Topic Author
  • The C++ SDK for C4D seems pretty straight forward. Theres a lot to it though. I'm a little intimidated. HAHA

~Shawn