Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whthawk

Cinema "stoped Working"

• Topic Author
  • Hi folks,

I'm sitting here scratching my head on this one. I bought a cheap Gateway SX2800-03 computer (Quad Inetl, 4 GB, Intel GFX card, vista 64) for a dedicated home server/render station. I installed NetRender on it and, of course, it crashed. I have run all the Vista updates (currently downloading SP2), done the usual run as admin, set compatibilty mode, etc. At first I thought it might be the initial release of R11 so I got cleaver and copied over from my .27 installation that works. Still no dice. If I try to run 64 bit it crashes immediately with "Cinema has stopped working" error. If I run the 32 bit version it goes of into neverland. Nothing in the process list either. I searched around and can't find much. Any words of wisdom out there? Surely, net render should run, right? No, OGL requirements? Thanks...

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I can't think of anything. You probably know more about computers than most of us.

Nigel

p.s. Well done on your 3rd place in the Spider Challenge

I am thinking it might be the intel graphics card. Try updating the drivers for that or putting in another video card to see if that fixes the problem.

Only thing can see on the MAXON Spec page is:

"Windows XP or Vista running on Intel or AMD CPU with SSE2-Support"

Sorry, I know next to nothing about Windows or PC hardware.

Alan.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. Yes, I'm trying everything in the book so to speak. This is a new box, so all should be well as far as the mem, cpu, etc. with the exception of the Video care. However, I was under the impression that video for net render at least was not a concern; all it's doing is calculating. Any, I will see if SP2 helps. I already updated to R11.027, updated the video drivers (June 09), etc. I keep you guys posted. @Nigel, thank you! :)

If net render crashes so repeatable with different scenes my personal bet is on faulty memory.

Cheers

Bjorn

got any specific plugins ?

• Topic Author
  • No plugins on the first pass. I only have a few to begin with. I thought it might be something with codecs so I finished the windows media player setup. Still crashes. Everything else seems to be running just fine. If it is memory, it's a stretch. My current thought process is maybe there was a problem on install that messed things up, so I am attempting a uninstall/reinstall of net render... Still bizarre...

• Topic Author
  • Wow, this sucks. Net render reinstalled, all drivers up to date, Vista SP2, blah, blah... Cinema Net Render Client and Server 64 & 32 fail immediately. Aero is off, compatibility mode tested up and down, and the app err log is compaining about something to do with ntdll.dll. I have never seen this before??? Off to think some more...

Try and find that ntdll.dll file on the net and replace it in your system folder. I 've read a couple of forums and it appears that it causes random crashes on several programs (and because it's windows, it can cause windows to crash too).

You can also try and do a vista repair.

:) if the repair doesn't work let us know

• Topic Author
  • Thank you. Last ditch effort. I am going to do a full system wipe from the system media supplied and see what happens. Luckily, I downloaded SP2 admin archive so I won't have to do that again. Just some assorted drivers. If that doesn't work, I'm throwing it back into the sea! LOL...

• Topic Author
  • Okay, complete factory restore. I did nothing as it came up other than to install net render, no dice. It's going back. Thanks guys...