Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illd

Building Mesh out of trackingpoints

• Topic Author
  • Hi guys,

is there an way (or a plugin) to build a polygonmesh out of trackingpoints. For example I have some trackingpoints on a facecapture extracted nicely with my Trackerapp and send them to c4D. How can I use this data then to rebuild the face ?

Peace,

illd

Guest Joshfilms

I'm not sure you can do this in C4D but it can certainly be done in most tracking apps. Fairly easy to do in SynthEyes but I've never use it to build a face only non-organic structures.

-Josh

There was somewhere a while ago a plugin that could kind of do this,i'll try track it down...although i'm not sure how well it would handle a face.

Have you 'tracked' facial expressions and want to use these on the head?....i'm guessing thats what you want to do..

If you can build your 'default' head by hand using the points,for your expressions you may be able to drag just your 'pointcloud' into the morph tag as a target,as the morph tag only actually needs point info.

having said that,point order is very important for morphs and i know nothing about tracking software so i don't know what info/objects you get when you import tracking points to c4d

mala

Presuming you have a load of nulls from your tracking software...this coffee plugin called 'camtraks' may help turn the nulls into points 'within' a polygon object,although you will still need to manually connect those points using the 'create polygon tool'

Now the hard bit,i can't actually find this plugin to download anywhere,it was originally posted Here a couple of years back...but the guy that made it has been banned from here....I have the original version but don't want to upload it as its not my work to share.

I've googled a bit and found the COFFEE code used in the plugin posted Here.....the only problem is that i don't know how to get that to compile into a plugin..coffee/plugins/scripts are all a bit beyond me,but i love it when they work laugh.gif .....so if someone can say how to get that code compiled into a plugin-sure its something real easy.....you should be there,with that bit anyway..

HTH

mala

PS..if you get stuck you can always PM me a C4D file with the tracking info imported...and i'll see what i can do

• Topic Author
  • @ Josh,

yes Syntheyes can build a mesh out of the points, Indeed I am working with it right know. But I found no way to export the mesh to C4D - Besides that, these meshes are sometimes very strange done by SE and not always usefull.

• Topic Author
  • @ Mala:

Have you 'tracked' facial expressions and want to use these on the head?....i'm guessing thats what you want to do..

It has nothing to do with facial expressions, thats a bit above my skills :). I just want to do a Rohrschach (Watchmen) like mask on the tracked face.

If you can build your 'default' head by hand using the points,for your expressions you may be able to drag just your 'pointcloud' into the morph tag as a target,as the morph tag only actually needs point info.

Thats a cool tip with the morph tag, I didnt know that! But how would you suggest to build the "head by hand" - thats where I am stuck right know. Whats the easiest technique I should use for these pointcloud cordinates to model something out of it?

Can you give me a hint on that?

I've googled a bit and found the COFFEE code used in the plugin posted Here.....the only problem is that i don't know how to get that to compile into a plugin..coffee/plugins/scripts are all a bit beyond me

Thank you for the link, the author of the script writes that you have to save it in a textfile and rename the extension to .cof and then copy it to the C4D plugin folder. Which I did - but although I see the script in my plugin menue and can choose it (yes, I have the points selected), but it does absolutely nothing. I tried it with 11 and 11.5

Does it work on your C4D 11 version? Are you on Mac or PC? I am on a PC, maybee I used the wrong texteditor for the script - but how did have to install it on your machine?

Anyway, :)!

IllD

ok ignore all my sillyness about tracking facial expressions....

when you import you tracking data to C4D,do you have a load of null objects all parented to(under) 1 null in the Object Manager?...if so select the parent null,then run the plugin..

That's what i did and it created a polygon object with points at the positions of the nulls,to connect these points into a mesh you need to select the polygon object in the OM then choose the 'Create Polygon' tool and click from one point to the next to create the polys......boring if you have a lot of points maybe.

I didn't have to do the save as text file thing with the plugin (easy answer now i know how :) ) because i downloaded the full plugin when it was first posted.

HTH

mala

• Topic Author
  • Dang! Thank you pal, now it works :) I didnt know that I have to group my trackpoints first. One last question: Is there like a "golden rule" by connecting the polygons? Like start (never) from the middle or always work with all perspective views available. Right now I am not feeling comfortable doing this...

I owe you a beer,

Illd

Guest Joshfilms

@illd You can export your mesh from SynthEyes to Cinema. Let me know if you want to know how and I will try and explain. I lost screen capture software when I upgraded my PC to Win 7 64bit so I need to get in contact with them to get it again otherwise I could make you a quick tutorial.

Glad you found another option via mala's help :).

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • Hey Josh,

that would be really a good thing to know how to export these meshes :) . I wonder how you will do this - about 2 months ago I printed the whole syntheys manual and started to read it. Reeeally a lot of stuff is going on with this app - but I found no word about a mesh export...I guess you wrote a script? BTW. are your by SE generated meshes all the time you think they should be?

cant wait to hear your trick :)

Illd

Guest Joshfilms

Hi Illd,

I will try to write you something up tomorrow or this weekend. Better yet if I manage to get screen capture software I will record you a tut.

I've printed out the SE manual too :). I've gone through all of it about twice. I don't recall it being in the manual either but its possible and no I didn't write a script to do it.

-Josh

Glad you got Camtraks working,as for connecting the points up,well without knowing how many of these points there are or what form the mesh takes,i can't really advise..

If you can export the mesh direct from Syntheyes like Josh says,thats gonna save you a lot of hassle....i only found out yesterday you could do that,i've never used a tracking app,so know nothing about them..

Hopefully Josh will show you how to export the mesh,then i can see what you're up to...got me interested now :)

mala