Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

illd

Building Mesh out of trackingpoints

Sorry but i couldn't resist it...have taken the FBX FaceMoCap from here Used the cam tracks plugin to turn the nulls to points in a polygon,connected the 50 points up into a fairly crappy mesh,then used the splinimator plugin to create yet more nulls from the points,which i parented to the original Mocap nulls,(splinimator creates nulls that drive the points in the mesh,if i could get interators working with the point node i wouldn't need it)

The 'eyes' are actually linked to the 2 mocap nulls for lids so not great,but was fun for a quick play about...just wish i had the sound track to whatever he was saying as well.

I won't clutter up anymore of your thread :)

Cheers,

mala

• Topic Author
  • @ Mala: You exactly know what you are doing - it looks really good. Now if i find the time I try to understand and recreate it the way you did.

Is there a chance to get your projectfile to analyze the techniques you used? Or maybee a little tutorial bigsmile.png

Or even better: Josh, you and I could combine forces on a mini series:

1) Josh shows the tracking process

2) Mala The import of the data and modelling

3) I animate the Rohrschach splots for the textures.

Workflow just like the Pro´s! :) What do you guys think?

I won't clutter up anymore of your thread wink.gif

C`mon man, stop talking bull! You just got me started with your Ideas...

• Topic Author
  • @ Mala:

have taken the FBX FaceMoCap from here

What format did you dl? FBX wont work if I try to import :) , is there a special plugin or format needed? Sorry to ask for every little fart...

Hi there,first off i had a little trouble with FBX,I'm on a Mac and CinemaR11...the FBX import only works if you restart cinema in 32-bit mode.

my process was pretty simple,import the FBX,select the parent Null of the tracking data,run the camtracks plugin,this creates the poly object with all the points,use the create polygon tool to actually build the mesh...i just looked at the points and tried to work out where i could put some quads that would kinda work for the shape and then threw some tris in to patch it up...that face capture has only 50 points,so you have to make the best out of what you've got and try to think about the 'planes' of the face...a 3D version of join the dots laugh.gif

Next stage is to link the points to the nulls(because camtraks only makes a point at the position of each null and does not record PLA style the positions on to the points)..i first used the Splinimator plug to do this...but only cause i couldn't remember how to do it with Xpresso,Rantin'Al has now corrected me on that...See the attached file and look at the XP node....the file will probably give you an error missing Tex but sure you can make a better one..or make a animated one....maybe something using noise and layers shaders might work...i'll have a play

HTH,

mala

edit-my home internet has just died...damn virgin broadband.....so have latched on to the pubs wi fi next to me....is very slow and dodgy....so don't know if this will get through.

Have just swapped the file above for one that has an animated shader on the 'mask'...uses the layer shader with some noise shaders,play about with the low clip,scale and noise types(is wavy turbuelence atm).....the blotches need to be bigger and fewer really...but gives you an idea

mala

• Topic Author
  • @ Mala: Damn man, you are really fast! It Looks good and you know your tools. But actually I wanted to setup the mask insde AE - I think it gives you much more freedom and detail, (and thats a app I am really good at thisrocks.gif

Finding out in C4D how to do this would have cost me hours :oops: but probably I am gonna use your technique in combination the AE animation...

No Worries,its been fun bigsmile.png

Guest Joshfilms

Here is a quick tut showing the basics of it. I couldn't find my mic so no audio. As you can see it doesn't build a beautiful mesh or anything but it can be helpful for ground planes.

-Josh

• Topic Author
  • @Josh: Thank you for this minitutorial. Syntheyes has so many exportoptions, no wonder that I could´t find it

bigwink.png.

Two things to consider while building the mesh inside SE: If you use the autotracker, in some cases you can smooth out the mesh

by increasing the amount of the trackers with the "Add Many" function and then build the mesh.

A bad thing the manual says is:

"You can use the calculated point locations to build models. However, the animation of the vertices will not be carried forward

into the meshes you build. Instead, when you do a Convert to Mesh operation in the perspective window, the current tracker locations

are frozen on that frame. If desired, you can repeat the object-building process on different frames to build up a collection of

morph-target meshes."

I think that means, you have to do the meshexport for a facial expression tracking (like malas example) by hand for every single frame.

Maybee there is a SE script out there which takes care of...

Guest Joshfilms

Welcome illd. Yes you can use the "Add Many trackers" function to get a more dense mesh. I've used it before it can be helpful just to have more trackers at times too.

-Josh

@illd...can you not import the tracking nulls from SE,then import the mesh from SE and use the XP from my file so that the nulls drive the points of the mesh?.....that would cut out having to build the mesh by hand like i did and your mesh would get animated.

mala

• Topic Author
  • @ Mala: Great Idea! Seems thats a nice and easy solution - But first I have to understand your XP before I try to relink the data...I will give you a feedback if I find the time. Mala, may I ask whats your job in "real life" - I think its called "problemsolver" smile.gif