Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sxpeters

zoom in without distoring object?

Guest idigitize

hmmmm this is very odd.

I totally understand what your saying, but i still have to disagree.

Why would it ever be said that the human eye has roughly a 50mm focal length, if having a 300mm or 12mm made no difference. ( be it further away or closer to the object)

I know very little about c4d but am a pretty experienced photographer and have fairly recently finished university.

Every single tutor, book or article i have ever read has been teaching me about different perspective views from different focal lengths, and what you are saying disagrees with all of them.

I totally disagree that if you take 2 identical pictures at different focal lengths, but crop the wider angle to fill the same frame they will look the same, even though your diagrams would show otherwise. It just isnt logical. Maybe being totally central and he type of diagram is a visual trick, but it just cant be true.

This could be tied back to the original post by asking "What do you mean by 'distort'?" Remember, the brain keeps very busy interpreting/re-interpreting the visual information it receives from both eyes. Excellent discussion, gentlemen ... and right at the center of CG work.

You don't have to take my word for it (or not).

You have a camera, presumably with more than one lens... I suggest you go outside, put your camera on a tripod pointed at some fairly regular structure(s). Take a picture, swap the lens for one of a different focal length, take another picture...

Mark

Guest idigitize

The way i think about it is percentages.

If you fill the frame the same with a focal length of say 15mm, compared to 50mm, your camera must be much closer to the subject.

Therefore an object that may be only an inch closer to the lens, may be 1% or 90% closer to the lens, but when its 90% closer, you get a much wider sense of perspective.

Heres 2 pics of my jack russel.. no matter how much you crop one or the other, they would never look the same, because to fill the frame the camera has to be closer, if using a wider angle, or further away if using a longer angle. Therefore, to crop a 50mm picture, to make it look the same as a 100mm photo, it wouldnt look the same, cos you have to move the camera closer.

post-74911-125900206244_thumb.jpg

post-74911-125900207721_thumb.jpg

Guest idigitize

oops.gif:oops: i guess i should have spent more time in class.

I guess as a photographer i was always taught to flatten images by using a longer focal length, to make models noses look more flattering. Guess i was probably staring at the models and not listening to the tutors.

It just didnt seem to add up, but was just the perspective of the way i learnt it for taking photos.

Change the field of view, instead of say 50 degrees try 15 degrees. It will fill the screen without distorting or moving the camera.

Well!

With "real" cameras you deal with real lenses. Short focal length tend indeed to distort the image - that is not a perspective distortion, but optical (cushion etc.).